Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th May 2010, 10:33

Clint Mitchell is on a distinguished road
Question Gruppe & Staffel Colours (Confusion Between Published Sources)

Hi guys

Whilst discussing the codes/staffel colours with Peter and Goran over on LEMB we have found some differences in the published sources available. On Luftarchiv.de there is a chart that sets out the individual fuselage code letters. It is located in the Luftfahrtindustrie: Kennzeichen: Motorflugzeuge: 1939-1945 section of the site. But below I have reproduced the chart as a direct link is not possible:

Attachment 4450

The chart differs somewhat from the list in "Luftwaffe Codes, Markings and Units 1939-45" by B.Rosch [Schiffer, 1995]". The differences are the usage of the code letter E for the I.V Gruppe, Stab and F for the V Gruppe, Stab in the Luftarchiv.de chart. Whereas in the B.Rosch list the code letter E is listed at the bottom for the 19th Staffel thus shifting the code letter F for I.V Gruppe, Stab and G for V.Gruppe, Stab. Making the chart look like this:

Attachment 4451

So do we have any evidence ie photos etc of a V.Gruppe, Stab aircraft sporting the G as the Staffel identification part of the fuselage code? Also in the B.Rosch list it mentions at the bottom the use of:

Q - 16 Staffel - White
J - 17 Staffel - Red
O - 18 Staffel - Yellow
E - 19 Staffel - White
I - 20 Staffel - Red

What Gruppe were these Staffels assigned to as the Gruppe is not listed and besides that where would they fit in the existing Gruppes before the late war Geschwader expansion? To make the matter a little bit more confusing according to 'Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings 1933-1945 Vol 2, K.A. Merrick, Classic, 2005' (page 238) the letters 'I' and 'O' were never used as Staffel identification letters which would then also change the second part of the B.Rosch list explaining the shuffle of codes and colours to reflect late war expansion of the Geschwader's from four to five Gruppen and increased size of each Gruppen from three to four Staffeln. Below is a chart reflecting this expansion but including the letters 'I' and 'O' as per B.Rosch's list:

Attachment 4452

So guys what evidence do we have available to prove what system and sources are correct with regards to this pretty important subject.

Thanks for your time.

Clint

Last edited by Clint Mitchell; 14th July 2015 at 08:58.