Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 24th June 2018, 16:03

PMoz99 is on a distinguished road
Re: Stanislaw, Skalski

Michael, AH2 score adjustments from AH1 are somewhat confusing.
AH1 has him with a score of 21-24, depending on whether you accept his 3 claims of 5 Sep 1940 for which he never filed a combat report. Apparently JH Lacey was going to do the report for him, but never did. So without any further comment, AH2 simply ignores these 3 claims.
AH2 also deletes 1 kill on 1/9/39 and reduces one of the claims on 3/9/40 to a 1/4 share. So 24-3-1-0.75=19.25=19+1
BUT in the summary of claims AH2 states the score was 18+3sh !!! How he arrived at that, I don't know.
The possibilities are -
1 the 2sh on 8/11/40 mentioned earlier in this thread are somehow connected and he included them in the total but omitted to update the details, and
2 a claim on 21/8/41 still included in AH2 but recorded as a damaged only in the other 2 lists was also discarded to make 18+3, but the change again not recorded in the details.
Whatever the answer, I can't make Shores' lists and totals equate with the info as it is given.
Also, I think I made a mistake adding the claims from the list given earlier in this thread - on re-checking I think it adds up to 18.92.
Sorry if it sounds confusing. Have sent you a spreadsheet setting it out.
Peter
Old 25th June 2018, 11:36
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road

Good morning Peter,

yes, sometimes the info given in ACES HIGH is confusing.
See also
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=45616
Is there any chance to contact Mr Shores ?

Cheers,

Michael
Old 25th June 2018, 16:36
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Guys, all your questions concerning Skalski's score shall be answered by the book.

Keith, if I could find any accounts portraying Skalski as a man, I would include them. It was already too late, when I started my research, and by now all the people who could tell anything about him personally are gone.
Old 26th June 2018, 12:30
Alter Hase

Good morning Franek & Co,

yes, ironically Skalski died just when Slizewski and Cony published their Skalski biography in AVIONS. :-(

What is your general opinion about the Lista Bajana ?
http://aces.safarikovi.org/victories/lista.bajana.pdf

Cheers,

Michael
Old 26th June 2018, 16:18
Alter Hase

The research just came too late, thanks to communists. Skalski had to be interviewed in 1960s or 1970s, as well as the other airmen, but this was not possible.

The Bajan List is an official score, and there is no other such list.
Old 28th June 2018, 10:23
Alter Hase

Good morning Franek,

do you have the impression that pilots who served with the Soviet Union had a better postwar life ?
http://www.aces.safarikovi.org/victo...oland-lwp.html

Michael
Old 29th June 2018, 02:05
Alter Hase

Well, it depends on what do you mean by better life. Most of those on the list were Soviets, and returned to the SU, in plenty of cases much to their disappointment. Some, not those from the list, deserted, and escaped to the west. In general they were in a better position, as with few exceptions, they were not persecuted.
Old 29th June 2018, 13:07
Alter Hase

Hello Franek,

in the former German Democratic Republic where I come from we were ordered to like the Russians, whom we were not allowed to call 'Russians' but 'Soviet citizen'. Was is the same in former Poland ?

Michael
Old 29th June 2018, 15:41
Alter Hase

I cannot say if there were official orders or if it went inofficially but there was a strong propaganda action taken, and new language introduced. Soviet Union was replaced by a literary translation, Union of Councils, etc. Numerous events on friendship and gratitude were held, and there are still some people who would like to continue the 'tradition'.
It seems it would not help much, as counterintelligence files are full of notes on 'negative approach'. A lot of effort was put to brainwash the people.
In regard of war period, plenty of Soviets did not like the idea of becoming temporary Poles, and opposed it. The term Soviet seems appropriate indeed, as there were representatives of many nations, I recall one Estonian commander being liked by his Polish subordinates, because 'he also hated Ruskies'.
Old 1st July 2018, 20:56
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franek Grabowski View Post
... Most of those on the list were Soviets, and returned to the SU, in plenty of cases much to their disappointment. ...
Hello Franek,

what do you mean by 'most of those on the list were Soviets' ?

I wish you a good start into a pleasant July,

Michael