Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 24th October 2010, 17:38

2059th is on a distinguished road
2059th AEAFFP

I am looking for information on this unit 2059th. The CO was Earl M Berndt 2nd LT. This unit was stationed at Christchurch England 1944, A-8 Picauville, France, A-64 Saint-Dizier, France, Y-32 Ophoven, Belgium. I'm trying to fine out were they were sent after air field Y-32. Also any info on its Enlisted men. I have been able to get info from the Air Force, but there are gaps in the records. From the data I have it appears the unit followed the 405FG.
Old 27th October 2010, 02:12
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road
Re: 2059th AEAFFP

Hi,

I have studied the 405th FG for many years, so I will see what I have but you will have to help me out on what AEAFFP stands for?

With the 405th at Christchurch was Team B 312th Service Group and the 24th Mobile Repair & Reclamation Sqn, which had various sub units.

Let me know

Last edited by Larry; 29th October 2010 at 00:52.
Old 29th October 2010, 01:11
Alter Hase

I see that you have your answer concerning the 2059th Engineer Fire Fighting Platoon that was attached to the 405th FG, from other sites.

However, I have a question for you - did your uncle 2nd Lt Earl M Berndt or his men mention to you whether they had anything to do with the rescue of USAAF personel, RN fire fighters and civilans at Christchurch on 29th June 1944? This is known in Christchurch as the Foxwood Avenue disaster, when a P-47D crashed in to homes at the end of the runway. The pilot 2nd Lt Vincent James survived the crash in the morning but instead of being stood down, he was told to take off in another P-47D for a mission in the afternoon and sadly crashed again in to the home next to his earlier crash killing the pilot. The aircraft caught fire and as people rushed to the area to help, the bombs on the aircraft exploded killing many people - some say between 13 and 16 according accounts.

I know the USAAF fire engine was on the scene shortly after, so it must have been from the 2059th.

Lastly do you know what time of vehicle the 2059th would have used as a fire engine?
Old 5th November 2010, 02:56

Larry the ARMY ENGINEER AVIATION FIRE FIGHTING PLATOON (AEAFFP) Was activated 5 July 1943 . This unit left for England on 28 Dec. 1943 arriving in Glasgow Scotland 9 Jan 1944. They went to Newbury England Air field Greenham Commons. On 15 March 1944 they went to Chilbolton Station 404 they are attached to the 368th FG. 29 March to 22 June 1944 , on 29 March traveled by motor convoy to newly assigned base ALG (Advanced landing Ground) USAAF STATION 416, Christchurch (east of Bournemouth), Hants. At this point the unit is attached to the 405th FG composed of the 509th 510th 511th .
Unit departed USAAF Station 4l6, Christchurch, Hants on 22 June and proceeded to the Marshalling Area by motor convoy.

30 June 1944 - Men and vehicles from this unit were finally unloaded and landed on the coast of France.

1 July 1944 - Originally assigned to an air strip (A-10) near Carantan our unit received a change of orders to report to air strip A-8 ??? NE of Etienville (near Picauville and Pont L’Abbe. )

I have included what I got from the Air Force on the 2059th crash reports for Christchurch.

Time: 1845 hours, 12 May 1944, Christchurch, Hants, England
Equipment: Crash Truck, with 1010 trailer and English Tender.
Time out: 1945 hours

Remarks: A P-47 belonging to the 405th Fighter Group, taking off on a mission, with two 500 lb bombs and belly tanks, failed to clear the runway and crashed into civilian house. One of the bombs skidded approximately 200 yards, through a brick wall, coming to rest in a garden... The other in the house. The pilot was cleared immediately from the plane by members of the Crash Crew, Section Chief checked all nearby houses, clearing them of civilians, while the crash crews extinguished the fire. An MP was instructed to keep all personal away until the BD Squad arrived to neutralize the bombs. The pilot was unhurt except for a slight cut over the eye.

REPORT OF CRASH

Time: 2035 hours, 12 May 1944, Christchurch, Hants, England
Equipment: Crash Truck, C1 135
Time out: 2055 hours

Remarks: AP-47 returning from a mission had been hit by flak and had suffered a broken fuel line and landing gear would not come down. The ship was smoking when it landed. We immediately followed down the runway and extinguished the fire with CO2 extinguisher. Pilot was unhurt.

REPORT OF CRASH
Time: 1610 hours, 27 May 1944, Christchurch, Hants, England
Time out: 1700 hours.

Remarks: One of the planes, P47 coming back from a mission was shot up bad. He radioed his position then bailed out. Our crew and the ambulance were sent out to locate the crash. The pilot was found unhurt and the fire caused by the crash was extinguished.

ANNEX #1
UNIT HISTORY

2059th ENGINEER AVIATION FIRE FIGHTING PLATOON

REPORT OF CRASH

Time: 0910 hours, 4 June 1944, Christchurch, Hants, England
Time out: 0920 hours.

Remarks: While standing by on the strip, one of the planes warming up caught fire. We noticed it immediately and extinguished it with CO2 extinguishers.

REPORT OF FIRE

Time: 2210 hours, 5 June 1944, Christchurch, Hants, England
Time out: 2230 hours.

Remarks: Call was received of a tar truck on fire in the RAF site. Upon arriving at the scene of the fire, foam was immediately applied and fire extinguished. No damage was done to tar truck.

REPORT OF CRASH

Time: 0530 hours, 3 June 1944

Remarks: A P-47 taking off on a mission. Engine failed half way down the field and the ship was going to fast to make a successful turnoff so hit the embankment at the end of the field. Undercarriage was broken, but the pilot was uninjured. No fuel spillage. Time spent at crash: 10 minutes.

ANNEX #1
UNIT HISTORY

2059th ENGINEER AVIATION FIRE FIGHTING PLATOON

REPORT OF FIRE

Time: 1030 hours, 9 June 1944
Equipment: Crash Truck, with C1 1010 Trailer.

Remarks: Fire reported by phone. Crew responded and discovered a grass fire caused by sparks from trash fire. Remaining grass was burned to prevent further fire and danger to property. Crew remained at scene 30 minutes.

REPORT OF CRASH

Time: 1445 hours, 11 June 1944
Equipment: Crash Truck, C1 135.

Remarks: RAF Wellington had one motor fail shortly before an attempted landing. Crashed approximately 200 yards short of East end of runway. Crash Crew responded. Pilot and co-pilot were both thrown from plane and injured. No fire was evident, but foam solution was used to cover spilled gasoline. RAF Crash Crew arrived and took over. Our crew was at the scene approximately 30 minutes.

REPORT OF CRASH

Time: 1730 hours, 14 June 1944
Equipment: Crash Truck, C1 135.

Remarks: Plane (P-47) had been on a mission and had been hit by flak. Pilot bailed out over the field while the plane crashed in Highcliff about 21/2 miles from the field. By the time the Crash Crew arrived at the scene, the NFS had water on the plane. We assisted them. The pilot was picked up unhurt. The plane was demolished and fire extinguished in about an hour.

I hope this helps!
Old 6th November 2010, 00:50
Alter Hase

It more than helps - its a great bit of extra info.

I have read through the info and tried to match them to known incidents.

The first crash you list for 12th May I actually have as occuring on 20th May and this info came from Maxwell AFB records!

Another that puzzles me is the crash of the Wellington or rather the date, as the description of the crash matches that of Fleet Air Arm (Royal Navy) Wellington MP564 - but this crashed happened on 25th May 1944.

So I'm wondering whether someone wrote up the 'war diary' after the event or in the case of the first crash before it actually happened!!! It just shows how records can differ.

Lastly I'd be interested to know what type of fire trucks the 2059th used?

Once again thanks
Old 8th November 2010, 23:01

I can only tell you whats in the crash reports. What I found was Crash Truck, C1 135 Crash Truck, with C1 1010 Trailer. Now the following is what they had at Greenham Commons, Newbury, Berks

10 January – 15 March 1944 Our organization was set up and operated on the airfield at Greenham Commons, Newbury, Berks, known as station 416. Two barracks were provided for sleeping accommodations of the men, a portion of one being used for supplies. A Crash Crew functioned on the line and sleeping quarters were provided in the area, regular fire department crew operated from a fire house with room for sleeping provided nearby. An Orderly Room and office for the Fire Marshal was set up in an a-joining room.

When we first arrived on the base we without any vehicles of our own and used two English trucks for our Crash truck and fire truck. An FWD Crash Tender and a Weetan Tender. However, it wasn’t long before these were supplemented with an American Crash truck, Truck, powered fire, crash, C1 135 (Ford); two trailers, fire, crash, 2-wheel, 500 GPM, C1 1000. In addition the following vehicles were secured: one truck ( Jeep ), ¼ ton, 4x4; one truck ¾ ton, 4x4, weapons carrier; and three trucks 1 ½ ton, 6x6 , PC, w/w.
Now did this equipment go with them to Christchurch? I do not know
Old 9th November 2010, 01:53
Alter Hase

Thanks for this.

By the way Station 416 was actually Christchurch so I wonder if the list of vehicles you mention was being put together for the 2059th's arrival.

Did you ever find confirmation of what unit the 2059th belonged as I'm sure it was part of the Team B, 312th Service Group Commanded by Col. W.L.Black
Old 14th November 2010, 01:51
Alter Hase

Have you seen this web site.

It answered my query over the type of crash tender

http://www.firetrucks-atwar.com/fire...roverview.html