Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 30th August 2018, 16:56

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough
Re: AceS n°8

Well if they sell that's also because they deals with topics popular in France (mainly anything related to French Air Forces and the Luftwaffe), some obscure topics I am sure would not interest a foreign audience.

Are they worth translating and publishing ? I let those who produce them answer (someone may ask Caraktere how much Bf 109 book they sold in both French and English edition). I just remark that a lot of know names (some who are members of this board) of English-written aviation literature appears often in French magazine. Why didn't they publish their articles in English ? I don't think they are forbidden to do so, but I can be wrong.
Old 30th August 2018, 19:41
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I just remark that a lot of know names (some who are members of this board) of English-written aviation literature appears often in French magazine. Why didn't they publish their articles in English?
My two articles for Aéro Journal were written because the editor invited me to.
Old 30th August 2018, 19:59
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I write for a number of good French magazines. Their interest is varied and not just limited to France & Luftwaffe
Old 30th August 2018, 20:59
Alter Hase

CJE

Aéro-Journal is a French magazine and we publish it for French people.
What's wrong with that?
Old 30th August 2018, 21:06
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

At least in Finland Luftwaffe as a popular topic beats all other air forces combined. Or close. It is easy to note when selling books here.

As for the sales of some English language editions translated from other languages, much depends on marketing. As far as I know, e.g. Caraktere's books are not available via many online sellers. Plus I have never even seen the book advertized! Not e.g. on this board.

The Aviation Historian was mentioned earlier. Indeed it has some good articles, but thus far I have refrained from subscribing due to two issues: sometimes awful layout (=ragged right coupled with an obsession of cramming in too many graphics) and that there are too many articles on really poor topics like Iranian aerobatics (jets), post-war jets, air stewardesses and similar junk. That the leading English language aviation historical journal wastes space on such junk when e.g. the available (in English) literature on Japanese WW2 aircraft is researchwise sometimes over 40 years old and written by authors not speaking Japanese is a policy I can never understand.
Old 31st August 2018, 09:58

Alfred.MONZAT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goss View Post
Their interest is varied and not just limited to France & Luftwaffe
Yes of course, but my point was that obscure French topics (a speciality of Avions that have its dedicated readers in France) will in no way interest the average English-reading aviation enthusiast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
As for the sales of some English language editions translated from other languages, much depends on marketing. As far as I know, e.g. Caraktere's books are not available via many online sellers. Plus I have never even seen the book advertized! Not e.g. on this board.
You may start to understand. Just re-read that and think if it would be worth it, economicaly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
The Aviation Historian was mentioned earlier. Indeed it has some good articles, but thus far I have refrained from subscribing due to two issues: sometimes awful layout (=ragged right coupled with an obsession of cramming in too many graphics) and that there are too many articles on really poor topics like Iranian aerobatics (jets), post-war jets, air stewardesses and similar junk. That the leading English language aviation historical journal wastes space on such junk when e.g. the available (in English) literature on Japanese WW2 aircraft is researchwise sometimes over 40 years old and written by authors not speaking Japanese is a policy I can never understand.
Then you wouldn't buy translation of either Aero Journal or Avions as they are forced by a stupid french law to have few pages dedicated to "actuality" (to allow them to be sold on the press market). And "actuality", for most Aviation History, that means current aviation topics (I have no more interest in than you in such topics - Aces chose to have their pages dedicated to models, but it's of no more interest to me). Of course the translation may be purged from those articles...
Old 31st August 2018, 13:30
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, a few pages wouldn't be a problem. Sometimes over 50 % of TAH is devoted to those interest-killers.