Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 2nd April 2008, 18:45
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Hptm Meyer (?) landing a Ju 52 at Maleme on 21st May 1941?

Good night to all!
I am looking for more information about the solitary landing of a Junkers Ju 52-3m on the morning of 21st May 1941 at Maleme airfield. This feat was accomplished by a Hptm Meyer (unfortunately the source I took those information are stored on my house, some 270km away; so I am unable to check them out correctly now ). I would like to know from some experts:
1-What was the full name of this Hauptmann
2-What was the unit and the codes of this aircraft? ( It seems that he landed and took off, just to find if it was feasible to land on a neighbour beach. Apparently his aircraft was hit by small arms, but he returned to Greece ok ).
3- I tried to find a RK winner amongst the Tranport pilots with this name but got no joy...But, did he earn a decoration for this feat of airmanship?
4- Did he survive the war? (I do have good reasons to believe he was linked to a Luftwaffe HQ ).

Thanks in advance for any information related to the subject

Yours

Adriano
Old 14th September 2018, 11:19

Zippy1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Hptm Meyer (?) landing a Ju 52 at Maleme on 21st May 1941?

This was Hptm Kleye (not Meyer), he is often quoted as landing on the beach "at Spilia" which is highly unlikely as Spilia is inland 2km south of Kolymbari. Seems likely he landed on the beach between Tavronitis and Rapaniana.
Not sure if he survived the war but it seems likely as only one officer of that name, Oberstleutnant Hans-Otto Kleye is in the Volksbund archive, Kia Italy at "Punkt 80" on 10-02-1944, presumably ground troops.
Old 14th September 2018, 17:19

Black6 is on a distinguished road

I believed that Hptm Kleye (my note = uncertain name, no DK/G or Ehrenpokal) was a Fallschirm officer who landed on the beach as a passenger in 1Z+DP of 6/KG z bV 1 flown by Meyer ??

Peter

Old 14th September 2018, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black6 View Post
I believed that Hptm Kleye (my note = uncertain name, no DK/G or Ehrenpokal) was a Fallschirm officer who landed on the beach as a passenger in 1Z+DP of 6/KG z bV 1 flown by Meyer ??

Peter

Oops yes you are correct, or at least partially correct. In the history of II/KGr zbv I/II Gruppe "Geschichte einer Transportfliegergruppe im zweiten weltkrieg"
it states that Kleye was indeed a paratrooper and the aircraft was 1Z+DP, however the courageous pilot was Feldwebel Hellmuth Grünert so I have no idea where the name Meyer came from.
Old 14th September 2018, 22:03
Alter Hase

robert is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

3 Ju 52s were sent off to fly ammo to the paras. Crews were instructed to land on a beach of Spilia W of airfield in Malemes. Hptm. Kleye was CO of small para troop, which should supply the ammo. Takeoff at 10.05 hrs. Two aircraft returned to Megara at 14.25 hrs carrying some wounded paras on board. One Ju 52 was left behind because undercarriage failure was suffered on landing on the beach.

Robert
Old 14th September 2018, 22:34

Spilia was the dropzone of part of II/sturmregiment but it is several kilometres inland and therefore obviously has no beach.