Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th July 2006, 23:00

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
"Special" Lw unit vs. detachment of 176 GIAP over Southern Estonia Sept 1944?

Hello!

I have just finished reading the Estonian edition of Ivan Kozhedub’s memoires – “Ustavus kodumaale” (Eesti Raamat, Tallinn, 1975).

In the book there is a short but very interesting chapter of a detachment of 176 GIAP fighting over Southern Estonia September 1944. The detachment consisting of 10 La-7 and pilots was sent to help Soviet 14th Air Army fighting a “strong, well prepared hunter group”. What Luftwaffe unit this could have been? I am only aware of Lw fighter-bomber units sent to Baltic region. The book text gives impression that Soviets had real troubles with this “special” German unit.

According Kozhedub the 176 GIAP detachment was based on front airfield “near Estonian-Latvian border” and “East of Valga (town)”. Pre-war Estonian reserve airfield at Laatre would fit precisely in this description (it was also used by JG54 in August 1944).

I guess the battles were connected to the Soviet attempt to push westwards to the sea from Väike-Emajõgi river line South of Võrtsjärv lake. This would have cut the retreat way of the German forces still in Estonia.IIRC the Soviet attack started in 14th September and the battles raged for a week or so.

Kozhedub also writes about damaging a Dornier during a late evening flight over Võrtsjärv lake. Most likely this was a Do-217M from Aufklärungsstaffel 4.(F)/Nacht based at Riga at the time and had possible detachment at Pärnu, Estonia (September). They had one Do-217 loss during September but it was “ohne Feindeinwirkung”.

Cheers,
Kari

PS Right now I am spending holidays not far from the “region of interest” written above and it sparks my interests. I also use this opportunity to apologize of the postponing the promises made to certain forum member(s). I will contact you in early August. I don’t have regular internet connection nor computer available here.