Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th October 2007, 03:36

Bob Lyons is on a distinguished road
Uffz Ernst Quaas of KG 26

Any info on the recipient, Uffz. Ernst Quaas of KG 26 would be greatly recieved...

Bob

The photos,

Attached image(s)
Old 4th October 2007, 03:38

Re: Uffz Ernst Quaas of KG 26

And 2 photos of Uffz Ernst Quaas of KG 26...

Goblet awarded 23.1.43, and his DKiG awarded 12.7.43 with 5./KG 26.

Bob

Attached image(s)
Old 4th October 2007, 12:44

Andy Fletcher

Hi Bob,

Not much except he was a pilot. Listed as a an Uffz at the time of the award of the DKiG though he is shown in both photos as an Obfw. A very experienced pilot as he is shown with the Frontflugspange in Gold mit anhänger which for Kampfflieger was 300 ff I believe.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 4th October 2007, 13:32
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

I found 4 Quaas, quite high a number I figure that with that we'll found less, but no ernst, so I suppose he survived the war..

rémi
Old 5th October 2007, 19:45
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi Bob

What a beautiful goblet! Was this 'standard issue' on such occasions? Are there many around? Silver/silver plated/pewter? Value?

Cheers
Brian
Old 5th October 2007, 23:24

Thanks very much for the input guys, Brian they were a non portable award, and were only for flight crews for special achievement in the air, can't remember the exact amount supposedly awarded (I am currently at work) but I think the quoted figure was around 15,000 to 17,000, but the experts think that possibly well under 10,000 were physically awarded. They are made from Alpaca silver (at .835 parts per 1000 fine), made by Jos. Wagner and son, and there is also an early version with a finer silver content, which is quite rare, I think they are bringing around US 5 to 6 grand or so, and the price goes up dramatically if they come with their case of issue and paperwork. (which mine doesn't have).

Bob
Old 11th June 2012, 04:24

some info, courtesy of the Axis History Forum:
Lorenz wrote:
The Ehrenpokal was generally reserved for the lower ranks. It is rather unusual to find a Major with one, and the number of Hauptleute who held that rank at the time of the award are far and few between, too. Of the 10,375 Ehrenpokal awards made by the Luftwaffe, 99.3% went to Oberleutnante and below. Right from its inception, it was designed to fill the award gap below the DKiG so air crew Borkfunker, Bordmechaniker, Bordschütze, Bordwart as well as the lower ranking Flugzeugführer and Beobachter could be rewarded for outstanding performance or accomplishment. Only about 10% or less of the DKiG and RK holders seem to have also had the Ehrenpokal. It was never awarded to someone who already had the DKiG and/or the RK.

--Lorenz
Bob