Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 10th October 2010, 16:43

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Looking for info regarding Luftwaffe Units at Novo Zamky, Hungary March 14th 1945, please.

Rather than make a double-post, one here and the other in the Allied forum, I hope you don't mind me linking through to the Allied Forums as I search for information regarding a mission flown by the 325th FG on the above date in which they claimed 20 E/A downed:

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=22618

More information here:

http://ace1945.com/aceinaday.html

Hope someone can help, many thanks in advance, MP
Old 10th October 2010, 18:02

Peter Kassak is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for info regarding Luftwaffe Units at Novo Zamky, Hungary March 14th 1945, please.

Hi MysticPuma

As Nove Zamky are now in Slovakia, I may write you a partial answer.
First, 325FG spotted a couple of Me 109s attacking russian bombers. US pilots attacked and the result was one Me 109 shot down.
Second one was reported as damaged. As to the unit, it is hard to say, but JG 53 was active in the area of the front those days.
Fw 190 which later attacked and McDaniel became ace in a day belonged to hungarian 102/I. Schlachtgroup, which lost in fact only 4 planes. Three diue to enemy fire, fourth was colission with telephone cables.
Luftwaffe lost that day in the area 6 Fw 190s of SG 2 as well.
Hope this helps a bit.
As to the casualties on US side... Adamson fell victim to guns of hugarian pilot Lajos Varga. Second lost pilot Murphy landed on the russian side of the front and made it to russian units and home.
Hope these bits and pieces helps...

regards

also: Zerstorer Research Work Group,
"Geschichte des Zerstörergeschwader 76"
Old 11th October 2010, 12:27

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for info regarding Luftwaffe Units at Novo Zamky, Hungary March 14th 1945, please.

Peter, thank you for your comprehensive reply, it is very much appreciated.

I am trying to re-create the action of that day in 3D simulation so having the unit helps get paint-schemes accurate, thanks for your help.

I am now trying to work out McDaniel's gunnery as it reads that he pretty much had a turkey shoot on the first four 190's which may be "Hungarian 102/I. Schlachtgroup, which lost in fact only 4 planes"

I make the following assumption that maybe there were maybe 4 of one unit and two of another in the flight. McDaniel dispatches 4 (3 of 102 and 1 of SG2? and chases the Fifth which collided with telephone lines but was credited to him? Burns also got an SG2?

Speculation on my part but I'm trying to get 6 FW-190's in the sequence so am trying to make sense of the positions they could have been in?

Thanks for your input, it's been very very useful. Cheers, MP