Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 15th October 2011, 17:31

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
George Preddy's final mission. How many kill markings did he have before Dec 25th 1944 and how many kills that day?

Forgive the abrupt question in the title but I had to get as much information in in one title

I have looked at (profile) pictures of Preddy's Mustang but most actually show it with markings for all his kills.

The information I am hoping to find is how many kill markings he would have been carrying on the morning before he took off for his final mission as he wouldn't have had his aircraft marked with those he shot down that day!

Following on from that question, how many kills did Preddy score that day and of those he did score, was one of them the FW-190 he was vectored in to chase and which ultimately led to him being shot down by friendly fire.

I have read conflicting reports that he was killed chasing it, while others say he had shot it down and was then shot down himself?

I appreciate your patience as I search for answers to my questions,

cheers, MP
Old 15th October 2011, 17:53
Alter Hase

Alain57 is on a distinguished road
Re: George Preddy's final mission. How many kill markings did he have before Dec 25th 1944 and how many kills that day?

Hi ,

I have the following info , perhaps this can help.

Fw Schröder
25/12/1944
Coblenz
Bf-109
Werknumber 785758 Gelbe 9
bailed out safe

Regards
Alain57
Old 16th October 2011, 00:38
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: George Preddy's final mission. How many kill markings did he have before Dec 25th 1944 and how many kills that day?

2 Me-109s were claimed on his behalf, and credited by the 8th FC VCB, on Dec 25, 1944.

Frank.
Old 16th October 2011, 09:34

Thank you both for your input. This at-least dispels the information I had read that the FW-190 was also a victim that day too.

Much appreciated, MP
Old 18th October 2011, 16:22
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

The last total kills displayed on CAM 3rd when he departed for the states in late August was 31. When he returned late October, a number of photos were taken of the last Cripes and they show 31 kills displayed which tells me that I have no pictures that were taken of the last Cripes after he was made CO of the 328th. He gets his first vic as CO on Nov. 2 '44, a single 109 and another 190 victory on 21 November '44. I have to assume that Art Snyder, his chief, would have over a period spanning from 21 Nov to 23 December when he departed for Y-29, would have added those to kills to the already displayed 31 making the last number of vics on the last Cripes being 33. This is the assumption Sam Sox Jr. used when he prepared decals for that last Cripes. No photos have merged documenting this however. But Sam can't believe that Art Snyder would have failed to have brought the correct vic marks up to date in a period of almost 7 weeks prior to the squadron going over to Europe.

He did not shoot down the long nose 190 that he was pursuing on Christmas Day. We have never received any info regarding what unit that 190 was from.
Old 19th October 2011, 16:31

drgondog is on a distinguished road

A note of caution on assuming that the late November kills were recorded. Some guys did not record their scores until confirmed by official 8th AF Victory Credits Board which took from three to five weeks on the normal cycle.

I was really embarrasing to have to eraseone when the credit came back as probable or damaged
Old 20th October 2011, 13:05

Thanks for your help. I appreciate your input on this.

From other forum user's I have to make the assumption that the unit was probably, and I repeat probably JG.26;

"The Stab, 2 and 3 staffel of Jg26 were in the area that day they were attacked by mustangs and evaded without loss, that was in the morning of the 25th.

Assuming it was a Dora-9 as the Americans often confused the BMW 801 powered A-series and the Jumo 213 powered D-series the aircraft could have belonged to I. or II./JG 26, I. or III./JG 2 or possibly III./JG 54. Both I. and II./JG 26 saw action that day in the general area that you are interested in and as regards to I. and II./JG 2 it appears that both these units were out of action on 25 December following USAAF B-17 four-engined bombing raids on their airfields the previous day. III./JG 54 did not fly any missions that day for what I am aware of either. "

I am currently trying to put together a short CG movie of the last mission flown by Preddy (out in the New Year) and just need to track down details relating to this incident so I can create accurate markings for the aircraft.

I am attaching an image below that shows a screen-shot of Preddy's aircraft.

Thanks for all your help, cheers, MP

(BTW I realise he was flying a P-51K but only have access to a 3D model of a P-51D...it's the best I can do, sorry)

Last edited by Mysticpuma; 30th March 2018 at 14:57.
Old 20th October 2011, 22:11

drgondog is on a distinguished road

MP - an observation. If those holes are meant to be from a quad .50 there are several that are way too large, and th 'oil can' effect show are indicative of entry hits from above rather than exit 'peel' hits from below?
Old 21st October 2011, 15:53

drgondog, no worries, thanks for your input. Currently I haven't even started working on it, that was just a picture to illustrate my intent

Patience...I'll do my best!

Cheers, MP