Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 8th October 2021, 20:52

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road
BCRS errata

In BCRS Vol 5 P151 29 Mar 43 in the Artic VVS air attacks on Axis shipping it mentions the steamers Ajax 2297 BRT sunk and Bahia Castillo 8550 BRT damaged both probably by submarines. In checking through the book " Allied Submarine Attacks of World War Two European theather of operations 1939-1945" by Jurgen Rohwer has

Ajax was sunk on this date by the Soviet submarine S-101

Bahia Castillo was damaged , towed in and later broken up by the British submarine HMs/M Narwhal on 1 May 40. Some accounts have this ship credited to the S-101

Lets just say trying to match up who sank what ship can be sometimes as frustrating as who shot down what plane!
Old 20th October 2021, 18:29

Re: BCRS errata

BCRS Vol 5 page 262 photo "The area around Ponyri was littered with destroyed Ferdinands The Soviets counted forty-five" looking at wiki on the Elefant panzer the Germans lost 39 Ferdinands/Elefants in the Kursk period July-2 Aug 43. It looks like 23 were lost at Ponyri along with a number of other AFVs. Note: according to David Glantz the Russians often refered to German half tracks as tanks.

for the books on the Ferdinands see
The Combat History of Schwere Panzer Jager Abtielung 653
The Combat History of Schwere Panzer Jager Abtielung 654 both by Karl Heinz Munch
Old 2nd November 2021, 17:25

Bagration to Berlin page 92 mentions a 14Dec 44 raid on Liepaja where the VVS claimed to have sunk 11 ships in 2 raids. Chorink des Seekrieges 1939-1945 which is online has only 3 ships sunk: transports Erika Schunemann and Minna Cords and the Tanker Inki and several ships damaged.
Old 5th November 2021, 14:29

Christer Bergström is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much for this!

regarding Ajax 2297 BRT sunk and Bahia Castillo 8550 BRT, I write that both probably were hit by submarines. Thank you for specifying the exact submarine that hit them.

Regarding Ponyri and Ferdinand losses, I didn't have access to the figures in Münch's books about Schwere Panzer Jager Abteilung 653 and 654, since my main focus is on the air war.

Concerning Liepaja, it is from my 13-year-old book. For the new Black Cross/Red Star books, I have gathered a tremendous amount of new research material. I'll look into Liepaja on Dec 14, 1944 for Volume 7 or 8, but the figures at the website Chorink des Seekrieges appear to be dubious (they often are). According to Uboatnet, five German ships were destroyed:

SS Mina Cords
SS Otterberg
SS Clara L. M. Russ
SS Erika Schunemann
SS Inka

https://uboat.net/forums/read.php?3,95601,95601

See also:
Otterberg (1293 GRT), Clara L.M.Russ (1600 GRT), Erika Schunemann (1177 GRT), Minna Cords (951 GRT) and Inka (443 GRT)

http://wio.ru/fleet/sunk/baltic.htm

You can Google on each of those ships. Two of these collided in the port. I will look into this case to see if this was because of the Soviet bombing.

Many thanks!

Christer Bergström

http://www.bergstrombooks.elknet.pl/
Old 10th November 2021, 18:26

Thanks for the info Christer I will be buying the revised BCRS Vols 1, 2, and 3 when they come out. I have some more comments ect for BCRS Vol 5

page 240 has 19 of 38 Tiger Tanks lost SPzAbt 503 according to my notes from Tigers in Combat Volume 1 by Wolfgang Schneider at Kursk has the following "write offs"
10 July- 2
12 July-1
14 July-1
23 July-3

page 243 Panthers with the II SS PK from my notes all the Panthers with PR 39 were with the GD PGD 48th PK from my notes from "Panzer Truppen The Complete Guide to the Creation and Combat employment of German Tank Forces 1943-1945" Thomas l Jentz.

You have often pointed out in BCRS ect that plane ID was bad. Well AFV ID was also bad There are plenty of reports of Allied forces fighting and destroying Tiger tanks ect when none were there.

page 262 Ferdinand and page 319 Panther destroyed by air attack both possible. However it could be the vehicles were either knocked out or broke down and they were blown up by their crews. Note the panthers combat debut at Kursk was somewhat of a disaster. The crews had little training and the Panthers had some major mechanical problems and many were lost do to breakdowns. see Jentz

Bagration to Berlin page 62 mentions Ferdinands none where with Army group Center at this time. I understand the Russians sometimes refered to most German SP guns as Ferdinands.

As for armor losses do to air attack you might want to post questions on either the axishistoryforum.com or missing-lynx.com or get in touch with Steve Zaloga
Old 10th November 2021, 18:45

As for Chronik des Seekrieg 1939-1945 it I believe came out in 1973 and is dated

in checking out Ships sunk by Soviet aircraft in the Baltic during WW II I have some comments ect
IT has the PE-2 sinking ships in the winter war when the plane was not in service at this time.
The Ilmarinen was a coast defense ship not a battleship
On 23 Nov 44 The Scheer was not hit by any bombs in the big Soviet air raid. My notes from "The Soviets as Naval Oppenents 1941-1945" Friedrich Ruge mentions the ship being slighty damaged other accounts mention no damage of see:
Pocket Battleships of the Deutschland Class Gerhard Koop and Klaus-Peter Schmolke
"Defeat at Sea" C Bekker
On 31 Mar 45 The Prinz Eugen damaged by IL-10 with rockets 9 KIA once again I found no mention of this see
German Cruisers of World War Two M.J. Whitley
Defeat at Sea

Whitley has other books:

German Destroyers of World war Two
German Coastal Forces of World War two

more to come
Old 10th November 2021, 18:59

As for the Battleship Schlesien they have her being attacked on 2 may 45 after the ship hit a RAF mine.

Warship 2014 has an article on German pre dreadnought Battleships that covers this ship it has the ship hitting a mine 3 may off Peenemunde and being towed stern first by the destroyer Z-39 to Swinemunde where it was used briefly as a AA battery and on 4 May it was scuttled.
Old 2nd December 2021, 20:20

BCRS Vol 3 has the Russian destroyer Sokushitel'nyy damaged by bombs. In looking through the following:
Warship 2008
Warship 2009
and the ships wiki bio

The ship was repaired but 20 Nov 42 in heavy weather the ships stern broke off and the ships bridge officers lead the way in abandoning ship. The next day the other 4 destroyers running short of fuel sailed off leaving what remained the the Sokushitel'nyy and the 13 men remaining men on board behind. Neither was ever seen again. The Captain of the destroyer was shot and the XO was sent to a penal Battalion where he managed to survive was reinstated in rank and retired a Rear Admiral. Not the Soviet Navy's finest hour.
Old 15th March 2022, 17:15

9 MAY 45 merchant ship Lieselotte Friedrich sunk 300 killed.

Battleground Prussia by Prit Buttar p 409 has the tanker Lieselotte Friedrich picking up 300 soldiers at Hela on 8 May and shortly after sunrise 9 May the ship was sunk by Soviet torpedo bombers. All aboard were rescued including about a dozen who were wounded in the attack by the other ships with her the tanker Julius Rutgers and two artillery barrages
Old 4th August 2022, 20:20

German S-Boats damaged by VVS aircraft in the Baltic 1944-45. Form the book Schnellboot: a complete Operational History Lawrence Paterson;

page 315 26 Oct 44 S110 damaged VVS aircraft
" morning 18 Nov 44 S86 and S116 damaged Russian aircraft
page 319 Afternoon 9 May 45 S216 hit by dud bomb 2 KIA 21 WIA damaged by IL-2 was in a convoy with 2 minesweepers and the steamer Ruggard attacked by 35 IL-2s