Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 25th July 2017, 13:19

Faenor is on a distinguished road
Re: E-bay founds - Hurricane, probably France 1940 or Yugoslavia 1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvkj41 View Post
Hi guys,

Have in mind that most of the 48 Royal Yugoslav Hurricanes were also burned on the auxiliary airfields by its crews during short 1941 April war. First presented ebay photo looks much alike machine from 4.Fighter Regiment VVKJ burned at Bosanski Aleksandrovac (44° 56' 55" N, 17° 20' 58" E) auxiliary airfield in Bosnia. Position of the Hurricane with starboard u/c leg extracted and terrain in the background is almost perfect match to the photo that I saw few years ago. Inscription on the back of the photo was in German, something like: ....... abgestürzten Flugzeug - B. Aleksandrovac, only the Hurricane was more devastated.
Yugoslav Hurricanes are “rare birds” among photos of burned or destroyed ones at ebay, but they should not be excluded as possibility.

Best
Aleks
Hi Aleks,
you are probably very close - this photo is from old e-bay photo album/photo set , which covered war in South Europe (ex Yugoslavia, Greece and Crete).
Can you please, or somebody else, share info about destroyed Yugoslavia Hurricanes on airfields for comparing with this set of photo.

Faenor

Last edited by Faenor; 23rd October 2020 at 21:31.
Old 25th July 2017, 13:39
Alter Hase

paulmcmillan
Re: E-bay founds - Hurricane, probably France 1940

Quote:
Hi guys,

First presented ebay photo looks much alike machine from 4.Fighter Regiment VVKJ burned at Bosanski Aleksandrovac

Best
Aleks
Back of Photo says "Calais"
Old 25th July 2017, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
...but can be mistake.

Now I receive information, that Yugoslavian Hurricanes use different propeller/blades - can somebody check it?

Thanks Faenor
Old 25th July 2017, 15:36

vvkj41 is on a distinguished road

Only couple of license build Hurricanes allegedly used Yugoslav Rogozarski props but they look almost similar as DH props.
Even first imported batch of twelve Hurricanes received new three bladed props before the war.

Aleks
Old 25th July 2017, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenor View Post
Can you please, or somebody else, share info about destroyed Yugoslavia Hurricanes on airfields for comparing with this set of photo.

Faenor
Please just let me know what kind of info? Number of destroyed machines and airfields names?

Aleks
Old 25th July 2017, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
I really don’t want to claim anything against it. But I would like to point to numerous back photo “additions” provided by sellers. Very often there is nothing on the back of the photo. There is a lot of ways to upgrade photo value. Sellers also use their companions as well. From my point of view (take it as subjective one) there is the freshest example. Photo of Yugoslav Hurricane with fuselage inscription “Stab JG 54” (never to be seen with any LW unit on thousands of “beute” machines before) was sold for 221 EUR. I would say that it worth every cent. It only bothers me that I never saw before that bidding on e-bay goes up from 11 EUR up to 220 EUR!!

Aleks
Old 25th July 2017, 18:08

Well, lets get back on the track. Any comments about this one?

Aleks
Old 26th July 2017, 09:42

Quote:
Please just let me know what kind of info? Number of destroyed machines and airfields names?

Aleks
Hi Aleks,

do you have info about fate of all Yugoslavian Hurricanes?
Maybe the list with fate can eliminate some candidates (crash during the fight, crash during training flights, captured and sold to Rumania etc) and info, if in some case Yugoslavian mechanics destroyed some machines on airfields.

Thanks

Faenor
Old 26th July 2017, 09:47

Quote:
Well, lets get back on the track. Any comments about this one?

Aleks
Hi Aleks,

its different machine, but type of damaging looks very similar .....

To other: can you please check type of damaging wreck of Hurricanes from France 1940? I know only one case, other looks different....

Faenor
Old 26th July 2017, 10:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenor View Post
Hi Aleks,

do you have info about fate of all Yugoslavian Hurricanes?
Maybe the list with fate can eliminate some candidates (crash during the fight, crash during training flights, captured and sold to Rumania etc) and info, if in some case Yugoslavian mechanics destroyed some machines on airfields.

Thanks

Faenor
Yes I do, but you will have to wait. My book about Hawker in Royal Yugoslav service should be published in near future, most probably at the beggining of next year.