Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th June 2006, 15:21

vlupiano is on a distinguished road
Contacting Luftwaffe pilots who flew in Romania.

For a book project I am working on, I would like to contact former Luftwaffe pilots who served in Romania during the last six months of 1943. Can anyone tell me how I might do this? Thank you.
Old 27th June 2006, 15:35
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Re: Contacting Luftwaffe pilots who flew in Romania.

Not much has happened Luftwaffe-wise in Rumania in the second half of 1943; therefore, the only active German pilots located there were a few flying instructors.

The main German-Rumanian fighter aviation school was at Galati (Galatz), close to the borders of the Black Sea. Other aviation centres where Luftwaffe pilots were posted were at Popesti-Leordeni, close to Bucharest, Craiova and Ghimbav (Weidenbach in German), close to Brasov (Kronstadt in German).

I'd also be interested to learn of any former German airman, who was posted to Rumania at any date.
Old 27th June 2006, 16:31

vlupiano is on a distinguished road

According to Robin Neillands book, The Bomber War: the Allied Air Offensive Against Nazi Germany, by mid-1943 there were four Gruppen of ME109s totalling about 120 A/C in Romania, specifically to defend Ploesti. One of those pilots Hauptmann Wilhelm Steinmann, Knights Cross winner of 1./JGf, claimed 2 B-24s at 1430 hours and 1440 hours on 1 Aug. '43, the date of the raid on Ploeisti's oil refineries. While shooting down his second B-24 that day, Steinmann himself was shot down by the same plane, then crashed landed near the wreckage of the B-24 he just shot down, but escaped injury. A photograph shoes Steinman talking to a flak crew. In the distance, about half a mile away, are two columns of smoke: the larger one is the burning B-24 he shoot down, and the second is hi fighter. So, there was a Luftwaffe figher presence in Romania and it seems to have gone beyond just trainers.

Last edited by vlupiano; 27th June 2006 at 17:05.
Old 27th June 2006, 19:16

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

..I don't think it was quite as many as four Gruppen..aside from I./JG4 who left Rumania in December 1943, I./JG 5 and 10./JG 301 were assigned to defend the petroleum fields, being based at fields around Ploesti....'Tidal Wave' was the only combat action during the latter half of 43..I./JG 5 were only there for two months..
There are some good personal accounts in volume 1 of Eric Mombeek's JG 4 history..
Old 29th June 2006, 20:34
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Contacting Luftwaffe pilots who flew in Romania.

I totally forgot about the Aug. 1, 1943 episode .
Indeed, at that time there were a couple of Luftwaffe Jagdstaffeln stationed in Rumania, for oilfield defense and training purpose, including 'Onkel Willi's' I./JG4 active in fighting 'Tidal Wave' bombers.