Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th August 2020, 10:47

Edward L. Hsiao is on a distinguished road
Franz Stadler,JG-27

Can you find any information at all about Franz Stadler's WWII Luftwaffe career as a fighter pilot who served with JG-27? He went on to serve as a paratrooper in the French Foreign Legion after WWII!

Edward L. Hsiao
Old 12th August 2020, 09:01
Alter Hase

Alain57 is on a distinguished road
Re: Franz Stadler,JG-27

Hello ,

According the Kracker archive :

In Greece, he was posted at the Cretan airfield of Kastelli. One known victory, an SM 84 (?) 30 km NE of Brindisi Italy on 14 May, 1944.

Greets
Alain57
Old 13th August 2020, 11:53

Jean-Yves Lorant is on a distinguished road

I had the chance to know Franz Stadler very well, as he lived in the south of Paris in the 1980-90s. He had started his career as a mechanic, went then to Flak before being qualified as a fighter pilot and assigned on December 13, 1943 to the 7 Staffel./JG 27 in Kalamaki and to 6 Staffel./JG 51 on August 23, 1944. He ended his career at Zeltweg and surrendered to the Americans flying a Fi 156 Storch on May 8, 1945. In total, he scored 16 victories, as evidenced by his logbook. (1 Marauder, 1 SM 84,1 Spitfire, 1 Beaufighter, 1 Mustang, 1 Fortress II, 1 Lightning, 1 Boston, 4 Sturmowik, 1 LA-5, 2 Yak-3, 1 Pe-2. It is correct that he enlisted in the French Legion Etrangère where he served until the end of the Algerian war in 1962. His last duty was "special": Franz Stadler used his Austrian identity card on orders, passed himself off as a journalist to approach the leaders of the Algerian rebellion (FLN) and photograph them in close-up, in order to allow their identification. I let you guess the purpose of that kind of mission.
Franz Stadler was a charming man, but having spent more than twenty years wearing two different uniforms had obviously made him philosophical and disillusioned.

Best Regards
Jean-Yves Lorant
Old 13th August 2020, 16:11

Black6 is on a distinguished road

Do you have the dates for those victories pleas Jean-Yves,
thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 16:48

It is likely that I will write an article based on my interviews with Franz Stadler and I prefer not to give additional infos about his claims. However, I remember giving a copy of the logbook to my old friend Jochen Prien, who will certainly put it to good use in his future JFV books.

Best regards
Jean-Yves Lorant
Old 13th August 2020, 18:46
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Yves Lorant View Post
In total, he scored 16 victories, as evidenced by his logbook. (1 Marauder, 1 SM 84,1 Spitfire, 1 Beaufighter, 1 Mustang, 1 Fortress II, 1 Lightning, 1 Boston, 4 Sturmowik, 1 LA-5, 2 Yak-3, 1 Pe-2.
Best Regards
Jean-Yves Lorant
As an aside Johannes lists him with only one single claim during his Luftwaffe career, meaning what is in his log book never made it into the microfilms or any other documents he has been able to find.

Cheers
Stig
Old 13th August 2020, 21:02

You certainly know that victory claims forwarded to the OKL for homologation were reduced by many factors (pilot's stress, lack of witnesses or difficulty in locating the crash point of the enemy aircraft) as I explained in my JG 300 chronicle.
Logbooks are obviously closer to reality than the claims transmitted to the OKL. Franz Stadler, like many of his comrades, paid little attention to the administrative consequences of his aerial victories. However, his logbook is very accurate and contains the number and type of enemy aircraft encountered and often the location of the engagement. The intensity of the air battles at the end of the war partly explains these absences of homologation requests. Some JG 300 pilots I interviewed often told me that these homologations, which often occured four months after the fight, were of little interest to them and they simply dont submit their claims to the OKL.

Best regards
Jean-Yves Lorant
Old 14th August 2020, 00:25
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Indeed Jean-Yves

However with Luftwaffe more or less wiped out, or at least heavily on the defensive, their claiming also became quite off the mark....

Cheers
Stig
Old 15th August 2020, 04:15

Edward L. Hsiao is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Franz Stadler,JG-27

Thank you gentlemen for your answers about Franz Stadler. There were plenty of Luftwaffe pilot veterans with their Iron Crosses awards that ended up in the French Foreign Legion as infantrymen or paratroopers.
I'm sure that Franz Stadler was a holder of the Iron Cross Second Class and the Iron Cross First Class.

Sincerely,

Edward L. Hsiao
Old 15th August 2020, 14:03

Here the last photo of Uffz Franz Stadler (6./JG 51) taken in Raab / Hungary at the end of February 1945. Only the Staffelkapitän Lt Kühlein has the EK I.
From left to right: Uffz Felix Blazejewicz, Fj-Uffz Herbert Heinisch, Uffz Horst Dahnert, Uffz Hans Klein, Lt Elias-Paul Kühlein, Uffz Hannes Heidenreich, Uffz Rudi Müller, Fw Hans Mikoleit, Lt Helmuth Ehses and Uffz Franz Stadler.