Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th February 2013, 10:07

REDCAP50 is on a distinguished road
Forced landing ( May 1940) of a German warplane in DENDERHOUTEM (BELGIUM)

Hello,
I am looking for details about German airplane - probably a HE 111- that made a forced landing in the surroundings of the city of NINOVE:
The crew was unharmed and captured in the village of DENDERHOUTEM.
The facts took place in the ‘early days of May 1940’.

What I already found in the book: ” 40’-45’ boven Schelde, Dender en Durme ” (Authors: De Decker & Roba) :
- On may 16th 1940 the JU-88 (4D+QL) made a forced landing on an arable field named ‘de Aalzak’ in the village of WELLE. Lt Rudolf BÜRNER and his crew were captured.

- However, on page 37 of their book, the authors mention also that “about” the same date, another German plane was hit by a British AAA-unit.
This machine made a belly-landing in an orchard situated EIGENSTRAAT in DENDERHOUTEM (nowadays a part of HAALTERT).
The crewmembers were captured, but the exact date of the accident and / or any names of them are not known !
I did have contact with a villager about this accident who assumed that it happened between May 10th and 20th , unfortunately there are no pictures taken of the crash-landing.

Does someone has detailed information about this accident (crewmembers, type of plane
et cetera) ?
Any information is very much appreciated.
Thanks and greetings to all on 12 O’clock High

redcap50
Old 9th February 2013, 21:17

Pieter H is on a distinguished road
Re: Forced landing ( May 1940) of a German warplane in DENDERHOUTEM (BELGIUM)

Hi roodkapje,

I think it might be this one (from Peter Cornwell The Battle of France Then and Now):

May 14: 3.(F)/122 Junkers Ju88A-1. Port engine damaged in attacks by S/L Parnall, F/O Royce, and P/O van Mentz of No. 504 Squadron during reconnaissance of airfields along north French coast and belly-landed at Aalst 6.15 a.m. BM Uffz Willi Reissmarm killed. BO Fw Friedrich Küttner, BF Fw Eugen Lauterbach, and FF Uffz Erwin Maxrath captured unhurt. Aircraft F6+BL a write-off.

(The green entries are my additions/modifications).
This is the only one I have in this area until May 20, but without other sources no 100% certainty. Furthermore be aware that the pilots reported that this a/c was shot down near the Albertkanaal, which is quite a different location then Aalst.

Regards, Pieter
Old 10th February 2013, 08:57

REDCAP50 is on a distinguished road

Hello Pieter,
Thanks for your reply,but .... I did spoke with two witnesses, and one of them was working on an field with his father when he noticed that the AAA-unit shot at the German airplane: 2 minutes later it made a forced landing in the village DENDERHOUTEM in the EIGENSTRAAT!! He regrets not remembring the exact date of the facts.
Next week, I hope contacting another witness . I hope somebody has a photo of the accident.
With kind regards
redcap50
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:53
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

The correct name for BM Uffz Willi Reissmarm is more likely Willi Reissmann -
Old 24th February 2013, 02:49
Alter Hase

RudiS is on a distinguished road

Hi Redcap,

from Peter Cornwell's The Battle of France Then and Now:
May 16 1940: Ju88A-2 of 3./KG30 - Port engine set alight in attack by P/O Parsons of N° 504 Sqn during attack on roads west of Brussels. Escaped into cloud and hit by AA and forced-landed at Ninove 1200pm. Olt Rudolf Bürner, Uffz Alois Henkel, Uffz Karl Schmitz & Gefr Dietrich Haase captured unhurt. Aircraft 4D+CL a write-off.
Furthermore I have: The a/c came down in the Aalzak-kouter in Welle, 250 meters from the road from Aalst to Ninove.

I have no info on the one in the Eigenstraat in Denderhoutem other then that it also took place on the 16th.

Regards,

Rudi.

Last edited by RudiS; 24th February 2013 at 03:34.