Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 7th January 2007, 10:18
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
News from NeunundZwanzigSechs

Interesting news on the NeunundZwanzigSechs website (http://www.twentyninesix.com/main.php?lang=en). Several of their volumes are going to be translated into English.

Günther Rall: My Logbook. Reminiscences 1938-2006. This was published in December.

The remaining English language titles may just be translations of the original German titles.

Wolfgang Czaia: Projekt 262. Tagebuch des Testpiloten: as Project Me 262. The Test Pilot's Account. To appear May 2007

Julius Meimberg: Feindberührung. Erinnerungen 1939-1945: as Enemy Contact. Reminiscences 1939-1945. To appear September 2007

Kurt Braatz: Gott oder ein Flugzeug. Leben und Sterben des Jagdfliegers Günther Lützow as God or an Airplane. The Life and Death of Fighter Ace Günther Lützow. To appear January 2008.

Schafsweide and Falkenjahre are not listed with English editions.

My Logbook is on Amazon.de without a price, but not Amazon.com. It can be ordered from the publisher.

Frank.
Old 11th January 2007, 21:59

NickM
Re: News from NeunundZwanzigSechs

Frank:

Terrific news, Frank! I'm always on the lookout for new stuff to read & I ESPECIALLY love LW memoirs! Now a REALLY SILLY question:
Do the Rall & Meimberg books include their military experiences a-la Lipfert (just the combat fact Ma'am) or is it more along the lines of books by Hannig or Dickfeldt
Old 12th January 2007, 16:20
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on Finnish translations:
-Meimberg is quite good but is ruined by the PC commentary of the Finnish translator. Not on par with Lipfert as far as combat goes.
-Rall: decent, though too much emphasis on post war years and his sugary lackeyish description of Amis made me sick. Some good comments on some aircraft but again, not even near Lipfert as far as combat is concerned.
Old 13th January 2007, 07:37

NickM
Cool Re: News from NeunundZwanzigSechs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
Based on Finnish translations:
-Meimberg is quite good but is ruined by the PC commentary of the Finnish translator. Not on par with Lipfert as far as combat goes.
-Rall: decent, though too much emphasis on post war years and his sugary lackeyish description of Amis made me sick. Some good comments on some aircraft but again, not even near Lipfert as far as combat is concerned.
Oh, yes...can't have that sugary description...it upset's ones constitution eh?

NickM
Old 13th January 2007, 09:29
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation

As biographies go the 29/6 books are all very strong.

Of course an autobiography is per definition a subjective experience, that's what makes it interesting. By reading an autobiography you hope to catch something of the person who wrote it, beyond the events described. For Rall it is the importance of his post war experience with NATO and the Americans.

Lipfert's autobiography is not the rule, its focus on air combat is pretty unique. Although is a good book, it doesn't go far beyond that main focus point.

29/6 is a quality publisher and their (or his: Kurt Braatz) work reflects a love for aviation history, both in subject material and printing quality. At least that is my opinion.

However I cannot comment on their translated work, I only have the german publications.

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 13th January 2007, 12:08

Boandlgramer is on a distinguished road

"Gott oder ein Flugzeug".
One of the best book i have read yet ( plus the Black Cross /Red Star series)
Old 13th January 2007, 13:31

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough

...both Meimberg and Rall books are extremely well written and a joy to translate...there are some extracts on my site - with the permission of the publisher...I did approach him about completing the books ..but didn't get the job....will be interested to find out who did...lets hope its a native speaker..

http://members.aol.com/falkeeins