Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 13th September 2011, 23:45

krichter33 is on a distinguished road
Josef Priller's combat missions?

I'm trying to put together a list of the top German fighter pilots, based on how many combat missions they flew. I was wondering if anyone knew how many combat missions Josef Priller flew? Some sources say 307, while others say 1,307, which seems rather high. Thank you.
Old 14th September 2011, 03:00
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road

Hi krichter33

Almost certainly 307. Remember that he flew entirely on the Western Front and pilots in that area generally flew considerably fewer missions than their counterparts on the Eastern Front. Furthermore, he was Geschwaderkommodore of JG 26 from January 1943 which would have seriously cut down his combat flying due to the attendant responsibilities. The Luftwaffe fighter pilot with the highest number of missions that I know of was Barkhorn with 1,104.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 14th September 2011, 03:26

Re: Josef Priller's combat missions?

Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured. It is the same with Erich Hartmann. Some sources say he flew over 1,400 combat missions, but it is actually 825. Barkhorn, I believe definitely flew the most, while there were others who flew around 1000. I'm also working on lists on pilots who flew the most missions from the Zerstorer, Nachtjager, and Kampfflieger. Thanks!
Old 14th September 2011, 04:00
Alter Hase

Leo Etgen is on a distinguished road

Hi krichter33

I am glad I could help. Do not forget the Stuka- and Schlachtflieger of whom quite a number flew over 1,000 missions, including Stabsfeldwebel Georg Jauernik, Oberleutnant Heinz Jungclaussen, Hauptmann Georg Dörffel, Major Maximilian Otte, Major Karl Henze, Major Horst Kaubisch, Oberleutnant Hendrik Stahl, Major Georg Jakob, Hauptmann Herbert Bauer, Hauptmann Franz Kieslich, Oberleutnant Gustav Schubert, Major Werner Dörnbrack, Oberleutnant Hubert Pölz, Leutnant Kurt Plenzat, Hauptmann Alexander Gläser, Oberleutnant Wilhlem Stähler, Major Alwin Boerst, Major Friedrich Lang and Major Theodor Nordmann.

Horrido!

Leo
Old 14th September 2011, 23:42

I already have lists on the Stuka and Schlachtflieger. Since they were primarily awarded decorations based on missions flown, there are many available sources on their combat mission. However, the jagdflieger, nachtjagdflieger, kampfflieger, and zerstorerflieger aren't as well documented, as far as combat missions are concerned. So I decided to go through all my sources, mostly Obermaier's books, as well as the new Kaiser books, and make some lists. I would also like to do lists of missions on the transportflieger and aufklarungsflieger, however I have no sources for them. Thanks.
Old 15th September 2011, 15:27
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Obermaier says 307. I would think he would be definitive.