Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 26th November 2006, 12:37

Mike Nash is on a distinguished road
Squadron Leader G.H. Ben Bennions DFC 41 Squadron RAF

We are appealing for information about the late Squadron Leader GH (Ben) Bennions DFC of the RAF 41 squadron,
on behalf of his brother Philip, who still lives in Stoke-on-Trent, Philip has tried in vain for many years to get recognition for his brother without success, he is now an elderly gentleman who is in poor health, his only wish before he dies is to see his brother George recognised in the city of Stoke-on-Trent, were he was born. I have spoken to the The Reginald Mitchell Spitfire Museum in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent Staffordshire in connection with a memorial or tribute of some description, and they have kindly agreed to supply a display case for our project, I wondered if anyone has anything which includes combat reports, photographs, relics or anything else on Sql Bennions which would help us to achieve this task. We also intend to supply a booklet, as due to Ben spending sixty years of his life in Yorkshire not many people is his home town know of him, which is why we intend to complete this project, which will include a memorial tribute in the town of Burslem of which he was born. we would need permissision to use anthing which is supplied or loaned for the display dut to not wishing to infringe copyright.

Regards

Mike & Linda
Old 26th November 2006, 17:40
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: Squadron Leader G.H. Ben Bennions DFC 41 Squadron RAF

Mike,
GH Bennions combat reports are in the NA/PRO, in piece Air 50/18. On microfilm they go from frame 69 to frame 100. There would be no problem for you to print copies from the microfilm at the PRO, and I wouldn't expect a problem in getting permission to display the reports (ask to talk to someone about copyright). As far as I can tell all his reports are there, except for Sept 9. The Squadron ORB is also there on microfilm.

Can you supply some information for my files? I do not have his date of birth, other than 1913. I also do not have his date and place of death.

Good luck with your project.

Frank.
Old 27th November 2006, 21:47

Steve Brew is on a distinguished road

Hi Frank

I can offer you the following:

BENNIONS, George Herman ‘Ben’, 563057/43354, RAF; b. Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs., 13 Mar. 1913; ed. Longton High Sch., joined RAF as Aircraft Apprnt. (No. 563057), Halton, Jan. 1929; grad. as LAC Eng. Fitter, Dec. 1931; selected for plt. trng. & to 3 FTS Grantham, 1935; qual. as Sgt. Plt., Jan. 1936; 41 Sqdn., Sheikh Othman, Aden Protectorate, 16 Feb. 1936; Flt. Sgt., Nov. 1938; rec. for com., 8 Dec. 1939; com. Prob. Plt. Off. (No. 43354), 1 Apr. 1940; SD, WIA & baled out of Spit. I, X4559, EB-J, over Henfield, Ssx., 1 Oct. 1940 (became member of Caterpillar Club); landed at Dunstalls Farm & admtd. Horsham Hosp., 1 Oct. 1940, then Queen Victoria Hosp., E. Grinstead (blinded in an eye & injuries to right arm & leg); plastic surgery by pioneering Dr. Sir Archibald McIndoe & founding member of ‘Guinea Pig Club’; DFC, 1 Oct. 1940; Flg. Off. (WS), 1 Apr. 1941; after recovery, tested at CFS & given A2B non-ops. daytime flg. status; Temp. Flt. Lt., 1 Jun. 1942; Flt. Lt. (WS), 1 Aug. 1942; MiD, 1 Jan. 1943; trans. from ASD Branch to GDB as Controller (non-ops. rating removed), 14 Jan. 1943; to N. Africa as Liaison Off. for US Fighter Grp., Algiers, & flew Spits. on convoy patrols, Sicily, 1943; WIA by shrapnel in landing craft, Ajaccio, Corsica, Oct. 1943; released from RAF, 1946; rel. com., 15 Mar. 1958, rtng. Sqdn. Ldr.; occ. wood & metalwork teacher & res. Catterick, Yorks; d. 30 Jan. 2004

Hope this is a help

I have corresponded with Mike Nash separately, but may I ask your interest in Bennions, please?

Kind regards
Steve

The Pilots of 41 Squadron RAF, 1939-1945
Web: http://brew.clients.ch/RAF41Sqdn.htm

Old 27th November 2006, 22:58
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Steve,
Just trying to gather the basic vital statistics for all aces. I will check my files on 41 Sqn, and then look at your website.

Frank.
Old 28th November 2006, 03:18

Artist is on a distinguished road

Steve, Great site! I added it to my favorites. thank you, Bob
Old 28th November 2006, 15:29

Steve Brew is on a distinguished road

Hi Frank
Not a problem. The vital statistics should be on my site, but let me know if you need info on any other 41 Squadron pilots.

Hi Bob
Thanks for the kind compliment.

Regards
Steve