Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th August 2014, 20:10

hawker.1966 is on a distinguished road
Ju88 crash Bethersden Kent Werk No 4347 (interesting Story) info help please

Hi would anyone know any information on Ju88 Werk num 4347 that crashed at Lovelace Place Farm, Bethersden, Kent.

Airman Fenger Survived
Loshke "
Diecke "
Muller Killed

Date of crash 16/17 Jan 1943

The other info that i am also interested in, is that apparently one of the airman had managed to escape capture when he decided to steal the fire chiefs car, he managed to get as far as Leeds in Kent until he had run out of fuel, he was captured 2 days later.

Would one know the identity of the airman and any other information on this story.

Many thanks as always.
Old 12th August 2014, 23:46
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road
Re: Ju88 crash Bethersden Kent Werk No 4347 (interesting Story) info help please

Basic loss details:

Ju 88 A-14 W.Nr. 0880144347 i.e. full serial, only last four reported in basic GQM loss report. ´4347 Ju 88 A-14 3E+GK I/KG 6 (Luftflotte 3) OPS (F) missing (100%) unk location 17.01.1943 (F Ofw. Kurt Diecke, B Uffz. Karl Fenger and BM Uffz. Karl Lösch missing, BF Fw. Erich Müller mis/rep killed in losses i/22.02.43) (as A14 4347 in GQM losses)

Ed
Old 13th August 2014, 02:09

ArtieBob will become famous soon enough
Re: Ju88 crash Bethersden Kent Werk No 4347 (interesting Story) info help please

Some fragments of the aircraft and a photo of the crash site were offered on Ebay several years ago. The Ebay listing stated the a/c was shot down at 5:50 am on 18 January 1943 by Squadron Leader I.G.Esplin and Flying Officer A.H.J. Palmer of 29 Squadron. All 4 crewmen baled out and Fw. E.Muller was killed when his chute failed to open, the other 3 were captured and became POWs.

Best Regards,

Artie Bob

Last edited by ArtieBob; 13th August 2014 at 02:31. Reason: Additional information
Old 13th August 2014, 12:22
Alter Hase

Melvin Brownless is on a distinguished road

The raid on London on the night of 17/18th January 1943.

On the morning of 17th January it was announced that the crews of KG 6 were to take part in a raid on London the following night in retaliation for a raid on Berlin by the RAF the previous night. The ground crews were immediately set too painting the aircraft lamp black. At the 18.00 hrs briefing it was announced that the target was to be the King George V and West India docks, although any part of London was deemed acceptable for the inexperienced crews. There were to be about forty aircraft on the first raid and fifty on the second raid with a number of aircraft flying two operations.

18/1/43 05.50 hrs.
Ju 88 A-14 4347 3E+GK 2/KG 6
Lovelace Place Farm, Bethersden, Kent. R.3558.

Started at 05.00 hrs from Beauvais to attack the King George Dock, London. This aircraft was on its second sortie of the night to the same target but the pilot took such extreme evasive action that the observer completely lost his way and an argument broke out between the crew. The crew had just sighted the Thames when they were warned by Meldekopf-Birk ground warning station that a night fighter was in the area and soon after they were attacked by a night fighter, the controls being shot away, the crew bailed out. The wireless operator's parachute failed and the pilot sustained broken ribs on landing. The aircraft dived vertically into swampy ground at the edge of a pond.

Equipment: BZA-1 bomb sight was fitted. FuG 10 and FuG 16 wireless sets carried.
The external bomb carrier was a ETC 1000 and internal stowage was for 50 kg bombs; only one fuselage fuel tank was fitted. Bomb load was four 500 kg and ten 50 kg HE/Incendiary bombs.

The pilot held the Deutches Kreuz. The gunner on landing managed to appropriate an unattended car which he drove for several miles before being captured.

Pilot: Ofw Kurt Diecke EKI injured.
Obs: Uffz Karl Fenger EKI.
W/T: Fw Erich Muller EKI +. Folkestone, Kent.
Gunner: Uffz Karl Losch EKI.

Regards,

Melvin

www.aircrewremembrancesociety.co.uk
Old 13th August 2014, 21:40

Hi many thanks for every ones input and time for the above information.

Thank you also Melvin for your very detailed reply.so it appears that the air gunner hadn't escaped via the fire chiefs car (or had he?)

Id loved to find anymore information on the attempted escape by air gunner Uffz Karl Lochs,but i guess this would be very hard to source.

Just one more question Melvin where did you locate the information on the Ju88 crash on the 17th/18th January 1943. as i had tried most routes internet etc.

Many thanks again Brad..
Old 13th August 2014, 22:52

Looking into or trying to possibly piece it together,going by what information that Melvin has given me,and the information that came with the relic board that i have, it states that the Ju88 Werk no 4347 was shot down by 29 Squadron and crashed Bull lane Bethersden Kent.that's where it states that one of the crew who we now no to be Uffz Karl Losch, had possibly escaped in a fire chiefs car in which he managed to get as far as Leeds in Kent before it ran out of fuel.where he was then captured.

So if the above info is true then he managed to get a fair way as looking on Google maps that is a fair journey i would say around some 9 miles and being local to this area the roads are still of a narrow type typically desolate.

There is also a chance that he may of gone very close to the Headcorn aerodrome (Lashenden ) of which was used during WW2.

Like i say it would be great to confirm his escape.

Attachment 10567

Attachment 10568

Attachment 10569