Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 24th January 2021, 10:41
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road
Photo IMAM Ro 1 bis

Hello,

Currently on ebay is a photo of an IMAM Ro.1 bis at:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/FOTO-FLUGZEU...kAAOSw6ZpgDTZX

Although this seller usually sells reprints I thought it worth posting as it appears to show that this type was still in use as a trainer in 1940. I would like to ask which flying school used the letters CEF on its aircraft? Also is anyone aware of any other units operating the Ro.1 as late as 1940?

Regards,

Clint
Old 24th January 2021, 13:08

Gianandrea Bussi is on a distinguished road
Re: Photo IMAM Ro 1 bis

The code is CER-, for Cerveteri, base of the Scuola Osservazione Aerea Terrestre. Rare picture, it's a pity that's probably a copy.
Old 24th January 2021, 13:36

On 15 march 1943 there were still seven Ro.1bis serviceable at this school.
Old 24th January 2021, 14:49
Alter Hase

musec04 is on a distinguished road

Hello Gianandrea,

Thanks for the great information. I think with a rare bird like this, even a reproduction photo is better than none at all.

I was very interested that you were able to provide information on the number of Ro.1 bis in service at the Scuola Osservazione Aerea Terrestre in March 1943. I would be interested in information of this kind for other former frontline aircraft operated by training schools for June 1940 or later. Can you tell me are there any good secondary sources for this? All I have myself dealing specifically with training aircraft are the two volumes of Dimensione Cielo dealing with trainers, but they do not have the information on former frontline types in use as trainers. Is there anything at all?

Regards,

Clint
Old 24th January 2021, 18:44

Hello Chris,

as far as I know, there isn't any book about that subject. You can only find some information in books about specific type of aircraft.

For example, the still very good book written in the seventies by the late Giancarlo Garello "Il Breda 65 e l'aviazione d'assalto" deals also with the use in the schools of Breda 64 and Breda 65 plus some infos about Caproni AP.1.

In the book I've written in with the late Carlo Lucchini about the history of Aviano airport, you could find infos about the use of S.81, Ca.135 and BR.20 by the Scuola Bombardamento and of CR.32/42 of the Nucleo Addestramento Assalto, both based at Aviano.

ciao

Gianandrea