Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 26th January 2021, 18:31
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
USAAF in North Africa

From the Stone & Stone site:

Mark Reardon—author of Victory at Mortain: Stopping Hitler's Panzer Counteroffensive and editor of Defending Fortress Europe: The War Diary of the German 7th Army in Normandy—sent us this update about his current work:

"Work on my USAAF in North Africa [working title] ground to a halt for several years as I finished a two-volume account of Operation Enduring Freedom and revised a full-length manuscript on the Post-Saddam Iraqi Army 2003-2017. But I am retired and winding up my research with a thorough review of Ultra messages and cross-checking my own list of aerial losses against Chris Shores' superlative A History of the Mediterranean Air War, 1940-1945, volume three: Tunisia and the End in Africa, November 1942 - May 1943. My Excel spread sheet now lists 3320 entries for individual planes lost in aerial combat using both primary and secondary sources. In many cases, a closer review of wartime records, plus a bit of cross-checking, reveals errors in published works. Wartime records have also allowed me to add to the listing of Italian and German ships sunk by the USAAF during the November 1942 to May 1943 period, to include those hit while in port, that I have compiled. In most of those cases, I have been able to add landing craft sunk in port which are not listed in secondary sources. I am finishing up my still growing 523 page single space chronology of USAAF operations using Ultra reports to provide needed perspective from the Axis side. I am going to start arranging that information into draft narrative chapters in the next month or so in advance of starting my writing full time by this summer."

Usual disclaimer,
Ed