Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 26th July 2005, 16:55
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road
Passenger connection Washington-Kunming

Hello
I am researching career of a pilot who in 1943 flew from Washington to Kunming. As I have nothing on organisation of air transport, I am wondering if anybody can add any information. Most of the route was flown in C-54 but also C-47. I do not know if they were military or civilian. The route was Washington-Miami-Puerto Rico-British Guyanne (Georgetown?)-Belem-Natal-Ascension Island-?-Sudan-Cairo-?-Karachi-Calcutta?-Kunming. I suppose the bases on the route were well known and it would not be a problem to verify them all.
Thanks
Old 3rd August 2005, 02:09
Alter Hase

DavidIsby will become famous soon enoughDavidIsby will become famous soon enough
Re: Passenger connection Washington-Kunming

Sounds like your man was lucky or had a priority ticket. The C-54 of the Air Transport Command (ATC) would have taken him either to the Middle East or India. then it would have been another ATC plane (C-46/C-47/C-54/C-87/C-109 if real unlucky) to China from one of the Assam forward fields.
Old 3rd August 2005, 03:32
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

You may wish to check the history of the Fourteenth Air Force which was activated in Kunming, China on 10, March 1943. It became a part of CBI operations in October 1944.

Also see this site http://www.comcar.org/comcarhome.htm

Ed

Last edited by edwest; 3rd August 2005 at 03:35.
Old 3rd August 2005, 15:22
Alter Hase

Thanks for the replies.
Indeed the man likely had a priority ticket, diplomacy has its own rights.
I have briefly went through the link but frankly I am most interested in the route Washington-Kunming. I know the man in question diverted from the route by flying to Cairo - the aircraft he travelled was unserviceable. I would like to know what were airfield on the route used by the 'airline'. Unfortunatelly, I do not have any related documents or log books. Also, I would like to know if any other units covered the route, eg. RAF TC or BOAC, etc.
Thanks
Old 3rd August 2005, 16:06

rafcommands is on a distinguished road

Hi Franek,

I can fill in the airfields between South America and Cairo:

Natal, Brazil
Ascension Island
Takoradi
Accra
Lagos
Ikeja
Kano
Maiduguri
Fort Lamy
El Fasher
Wadi Seidna
Wadi Halfa
Cairo

Regards
Ross
Old 4th August 2005, 01:36
Alter Hase

DavidIsby will become famous soon enoughDavidIsby will become famous soon enough

The RAF flew from the Middle East to India but tended (not always) to go via Lydda in Palestine and Habbiniya in Iraq. There are a couple of Transport Command histories. To generalize, it was not until 1944 that it was running substantial numbers of four-engine transports on regular missions to India.
Old 4th August 2005, 20:40
Alter Hase

Thanks again for the replies.
David, by any chance do you have any nice photo of ATC Skymaster which flew somewhere on the route in 1943?
Old 6th August 2005, 23:53
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Hi, responding from memory I can tell you this. Many years ago I was studying the ATC on the Northern Atlantic-Route from USAAF records. However in 1943 most of the (still too few) C-54´s were flown by AMERICAN CIVIL CONTRACT-CARRIERS (i.e. crews from TWA, Amercan Airliners, etc.) There were also used ´Transport´ B-24 Liberators, C-47, C-53, Boeing C-75 Stratoliners and some flying-boats but the USN was also flying R5D Skymasters but with VR- squadron Navy crews (mainly from 1944 onwards). The Skymasters were USAAF owned but run and flown by Civil crew in uniform. Since your guy flew on a ´Skymaster´ it was likely an military (camouflaged) C-54 or C-54A owed by the USAAF ATC ´South-Atlantic Wing´ as far as Africa or Egypt, then by USAAF C-47 from perhaps Egypt/India ....

cheers
ed