Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 26th November 2010, 12:43

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road
Kampfgeschwader 102 at Riga, Latvia

Hello!

I was reading some pages of Kriegsmarine ships sent by a friend and noticed a Luftwaffe unit I was not really aware before and based at Riga (which is within my main area of interest).

It seems KG 102 trained torpedofliegers and was based at Riga June 1943 to August 1944, see also:
http://www.ww2.dk/air/kampf/kg102.html

I remembered that on my computer hard disk there was some E-bay photos of Ju 88 at Riga. And indeed there was some partial shots of "spagetti" camo Ju 88 coded +KR and one of them was dated on back May 1944 at Riga.

What I wonder is that I have titled the file as Ju 88 L1KR. The picture file was created March 2006 and I cannot remember if the auction description gave more info. Is the code L1 a blunder of mine or had KG 102 really this unit code?

I also seem to have one Ju 88 tail photo also with location description Riga and saved (from E-bay auction) Feb 2006. Similar spagetti camo and WNr 411x (x = 5,6 or 8 it seems). Would this be KG 102 plane too?

Is there any published articles or book (chapters) about the unit - KG 102?

Thanking for your interest and possible answers,
Kari
Old 26th November 2010, 17:02

F19Gladiator is on a distinguished road
Re: Kampfgeschwader 102 at Riga, Latvia

Hello Kari,
I have what must be the same tail photo as you have from eBay in 2006, W.Nr.411x.
I've found a short info that on 20 May 1943L "The Luftwaffe Generalstab reported an attack by 50 B-17s on Grosseto airfield, the training centre for German torpedo pilots and KG 102. Hangars and duty rooms were destroyed or badly damaged, catering stores, fuel and munitions stores badly burnt out, 15 aircraft were destroyed and several damaged, and 83 were killed and 160 wounded. This attack put the airfield out of action and Schulgeschwader KG 102 moved to Riga/Spilve on the Baltic where, after 25 June 1943, the training unit was re-established with five Ju 88s"
...by the end of 1943 (Dec prob) "Oberst Beyling's KG 102 at Riga/Spilve had at its disposal 21 Ju 88s, two Ju 87s and seven He 111"
Ref. p.57 & 62 in Luftwaffe Aerial Torpedo Aircraft and Operations in World War Two, Harold Thiele, Hikoki.
Br
Goran

Last edited by F19Gladiator; 26th November 2010 at 17:11. Reason: Added info on raid on Grosseto