Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th January 2010, 02:22

Michael Bendon is on a distinguished road
Landing Craft in Crete sunk by Luftwaffe

I have located a British landing craft in western Crete which I believe I have been able to identify. I have an eyewitness to the event who speaks of a German dive-bombing attack that hit the craft at anchor as well as the aircraft being brought down on the adjacent beach (may have found the location of these remains also). Was hoping that there may be Luftwaffe records available that provide further information on the event and that may also lead me to the identity of the aircraft which we may excavate in the future (I am an archaeologist working on a site near this). Official British dispatches put the departure of the craft west from Souda bay on the night of the 27th 1941 so the sinking event was probably the next day (not too many sea miles between there and Kastelli) when the craft was hiding awaiting the darkness to continue the journey. More information available should any forum members be able to offer assistance. Thanking you in this my first post and will keep the forum updated on progress.