Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th February 2005, 16:59
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road
Walther Dahl EJG2

Hello,

I was trying to find information about the exact date when Walter Dahl joined EJG2 but was unable to do so. Also I was unable to find dates for his 9+ victories with EJG2. I was assuming that more information should be known as Walter Dahl survivied the war.

What would be the best source (book) for more information about him?

Thanks & Regards,
Roger Gaemperle
Old 12th February 2005, 02:54
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Walter Dahl Flugbuch on E-Bay

Ya know, his Flugbuch just came up for auction on E-Bay. Would love to get a look at it. Does anyone know who bought the Flugbuch?

Carlos
Old 12th February 2005, 03:44

George Hopp
Walter Dahl

His book, Rammjager, doesn't mention service with EJG2 at all, except to say that on 27 Mar 45, he, and Oberst Gollob were flying in an Si 204D to visit Heinz Bar's EJG2 in Lechfeld, when they were spotted by a pair of P-51s, and through Gollob's inspired flying managed to elude them. In the afternoon as he test flew an Me 262 some P-47s began straffing the airfiled, and he shot down 2 of them for his 102nd and 103rd victories. Then he says that by April 4th he had his 110th victory, but no further mention of EJG2.
Sorry,
George
Old 12th February 2005, 06:32
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point
Walther Dahl's victories in Me-262

I have always had a problem with Walter Dahl's victory over P-47s on this date. As far as I know, no P-47 unit reported an encounter with Me-262s on this date.
Old 12th February 2005, 07:24

George Hopp
Walther Dahl

"Me 262 Combat diary" by Foreman and Harvey makes the same comments as you, and says that the actual day of the combat might be the 25th of March. But, as I said in the note above, the 27th is the date Dahl states in his book.
George
Old 13th February 2005, 04:12

George Hopp
Walther Dahl

Hmm, what are the chances that the P-47s belonged to units flying out of Italy? Since Heinz Baer claimed 3, and Walter Dahl claimed 2, victories, all relatively close to Lechfeld, and so to ground-based witnesses, I would hesitate to say that these victories were imaginary.
George
Old 13th February 2005, 12:01
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Have any of you at least considered the possibility that the a/c type involved wasn't a P-47?

I'm not writing this because I stand behind the original claims, but it strikes me that these debates often focus on a single type being claimed and that no losses of said type mean that there was no valid claim. Misidentification is so common that types should not be the primary cariable when judging claims.

Biographies vary in accuracy, but in general I find them unreliable when it comes to dates and exact events. Rammjaeger isn't exactly one of those "Flugbuch" type biographies to start with...

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 13th February 2005, 16:23

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough
Dahl

not only that Ruy but (not wishing to appear sexist here) most of the book was put together by his wife..
As George points out, Dahl states that by 4 April he had 110 Abschüsse ..however Dahl also writes that he finished the war with 128 - a figure quoted in just about every bio - in other words he scored nearly 20 victories in just over 3 weeks even though he wasn't flying on operations !!! (he mentions only undertaking a number of Erkundungsflüge - eg 24 April -which resulted in combat )I think we can conclude that a large number of these latter victories were indeed 'imaginary'....
Old 13th February 2005, 18:46
He who rules the forum...

Ruy Horta has disabled reputation
Imaginary sounds like they are a lie, unless proven to be so I'd prefer the term uncertain. Although Obermaier may have used his biography, a quick scan (without resorting to any primary sources) shows a pattern that is fairly consistent for the last months of the war. Er flog fast bis zum letzten Kriegtag Einsätze, wobei er an der Ostfront 32 russische Flugzeuge abschoß.

What are the chances that some of the US types were actually Soviet types, making identification and verification of claims a little more difficult?

Is it certain that he didn't fly much during those days, is that based on his Flugbuch?

Just asking some questions, for the sake of knowledge, not trtying to push an argument as the forum moderator!

And now I see with eye serene
The very pulse of the machine;
A being breathing thoughtful breath,
A traveller between life and death;
Old 13th February 2005, 18:58

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough
Dahl

..well the Flugbuch that was sold only covered the period up to Feb 45..how much combat flying is the Inspekteur der Tagjagd likely to have done..? Not much I doubt..