Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 3rd August 2005, 03:20
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Gottfried Dulias information

I acquired a copy of his book and soon learned this was a life history. The combat experiences are brief, although clearly the selling point of the book. What follows is the relevant information I could find.

Three months of basic training in Oschatz.
Assigned to Air Academy No. 2 at Berlin-Gatow in February 1, 1944.
Training with gliders, FW44D, then the Jungmann, a Jungmeister, an Me-108, and finally, an Me 109E.

The photos show him more outfitted as a soldier than a pilot. There is one showing him standing in front of a Kranich coded L(?)A+JM.

Then we have this quote: "Near Aaachen on the western side of Germany, to the north of Koln (Cologne) was the Air Field of JG 53rd Squadron called 'Pik-As' (Ace of Spades). About five or six of us new Fahnenjunker (Cadets) from Berlin-Gatow were assigned to that Squadron."

He flew as a wingman to an Oberleutnant who is unnamed. His first victory was against a Spitfire piloted by Leftenant Fred Browning from London.

Another quote: "At the beginning of October the greater part of our group received orders to re-locate to the Russian front at an Airfield near Budapest, while the rest of the group remained at the area near Aachen."

Later, he reports being located "just North of Budapest," and the following: "We had a new Group Commander Hauptmann Helmut Lipfert because our former one had transferred to the new Messerschmitt 262 outfit located in Bavaria." Apparently, his unit was encountering Ratas south of Budapest. He shoots down his fifth aircraft and is awardeed an EK1. He is then shot down in March, 1945.

There is an illustration of his Me 109G-14/AS of 3./JG 53 with the number 6, Budapest, March 1945.

Ed
Old 3rd August 2005, 07:25
Alter Hase

Kutscha
Re: Gottfried Dulias information

Ed, which former commander transferred to a 262 unit? Hartmann, who replaced Ernst, who replaced Harder, was the commander that Lipfert replaced. Strange that he does not name this commander.

from a link in the other thread:
"In late Oct of 1944 JG53 was located to a base north of Budapest, Hungary."

Mezopetre is EAST of Budapest and the next base Maklar is more EAST than north of Budapest. Mende is EAST of Budapest. Papa is WSW of Budapest. Piestrany is SOUTH of Budapest. Another base used by I./JG53 was Veszprem which is SOUTH WEST of Budapest. This is the base he was flying from when he was shot down Mar 4 1945.

Aachen is WEST of Koln. Strange that he does not name which Gruppen of JG53 he went to. Is not a German squadron a staffel?

Just too many holes in his story. And, his unwillingness to come here to fill in any details speaks volumes.
Old 5th August 2005, 00:48
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutscha
Piestrany is SOUTH of Budapest
Piest'any (Pöstyén in Hungarian, Bad Pistyan in German), in Slovakia, is located north-west of Budapest.

Last edited by Dénes Bernád; 5th August 2005 at 03:17.
Old 5th August 2005, 04:11
Alter Hase

Kutscha

Yes Denes. The route search I used put it to the south of Budapest. Now if I could only find the link again. Anyways, Bratislavia is closer to Piest'any than Budapest and was not the first base used in the area. They only spent a week there , 20-2-45 > 27-2-45, before he was shot down.
Old 14th August 2005, 06:31

Flitzer is on a distinguished road

Seems most of the planes he shot down in late '44, early '45, were I-16 'Ratas'. I don't think the Russians weren't using any of these in combat that late in the war.

I took a look at Jochen Prien's third volume, in German, on JG-53, all 1075 pages, but could not find Dulias mentioned or shown in any of the numerous pilot or personell lists.