Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 13th January 2006, 13:43

Pathfinder is on a distinguished road
RAF Roundal type on Black Mosquito Night Fighter

Hello all,

I am currently working on a painting of a NF MK11 night-fighter Mosquito of 157 Squadron. My 'Mossie' wears an a matt black colour sheme.

I have several forms of reference, including an original b/w photo, which unfortunately doesn't show me what I need to know. There also seems to be contradicting information in my references:

I have a Type A1 Roundel with a large, thick yellow outer band in one picture, and in another, a thinner yellow band. Some of the info states that the aircraft should have the thicker band from this Squadron in around late '42 /early '43?

Also, on one picture the fuselage markings and serial are all a darkish red, while in another it is all red APART from the serial which is in white!

I have looked at model-makers 'refs', including a model kit I have, and again, it is different.

I have a mind as to which I will choose, but would like to see if anyone else has an opinion on this?

Last edited by Pathfinder; 13th January 2006 at 22:01.
Old 13th January 2006, 15:00
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: RAF Roundal type on Black Mosquito Night Fighter

The RAF fuselage roundel changed in March/April 1942 from the A1 type with equal-width coloured rings to the C1 type with equal-reflectance rings - narrow white and yellow. I suspect that it was at about the same time that the night fighter camouflage changed from black (Night or perhaps Smooth Night) to Medium Sea Grey with a disruptive pattern on the uppersurfaces.

So I would assume that a black aircraft would have the A1 roundel. That's what I used for my 23 Sq model many years ago. However, this is without looking in any Mosquito reference book....when did 157 get their Mossies? A 1943 subject can be guaranteed to have the C1 roundel.
Old 13th January 2006, 22:00

Re: RAF Roundel type on Black Mosquito Night Fighter

Thanks for reply, Graham.

157 Sq had Mosquitos delivered in January 1942, and was the first Mosquito night fighter Sq. So, I guess a type A1 Roundel and early fin flash would be alright for an aircraft of this type. The colour scheme and details I have tell me it was standard for this Sq from March-Aug 1942. As for the fuselage lettering, I will have to go with this deep red colour.

I am more familiar with USAAF aircraft, and with them the rules and regulations, as regards insignia and such, could vary from one BG or BS to another.

I am guessing that this may have been the case with the RAF. I found a website about Rounels, and it does say that the type used on various aircraft varied, even during one particular time-frame.
Old 13th January 2006, 22:41
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
Re: RAF Roundel type on Black Mosquito Night Fighter

The RAF was much more standardised. Differences, other than perhaps in the positioning, size and style of the lettering, were slight. However, I have tonight seen what is probably the photo you mention, showing a thin yellow band around what is otherwise an A1 roundel. This is very rare.

Yes, the codes would normally be red on a black background. I suspect, without checking, that August is when the camouflage changed. I notice that the squadron changed to intruder missions. These were often flown with a black underside to the Dark Green/Medium Sea Grey scheme and without radar.
Old 18th January 2006, 15:10

Re: RAF Roundal type on Black Mosquito Night Fighter

Graham, thanks once again for the info. I have now at last completed my painting and am ready to move on to my next project. If you are interested in seeing the finished piece, you will find it on my gallery.

Cheers