Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 8th August 2016, 16:40
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Ju 88 D or C damaged on 07 April 1943 (North Afrika)

Hello,

I do have a combat report from a Spitfire pilot (North Afrika) stating that he discharged his machine gun ammo on a Junkers 88, between 12:00-13:00hs (Allied time), some 60 miles to the North of Bone. The German air gunner put a ferocious "back-fire" too, but it seems that both English and German misses their targets.

IS THERE any Ju 88 D (or C) damaged that particular day on the NVSM Register? I am aware that some of you do have the Luftwaffe Loss List (from Bundesarchiv) digitalized...so perhaps a machine came with some damages on that day and MAY BE that machine.

It seems there were NO losses amongst the machines of Aufkl. Gr. 122 and 123.

So, am looking ANY Ju 88 damaged on that Theater of War, on that day.

Thank you very much for any info or piece of information.
Adriano
Old 8th August 2016, 20:08
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road
Re: Ju 88 D or C damaged on 07 April 1943 (North Afrika)

Adriano , there are some losses to KG 26 this day all Ju88 A's One missing from Sea recon. to Algiers with Lt Hornack and one other Pow ( someone may have a ADI(K) report , another 60% damaged at Villacidro no cause shown and another landed at Palma Spain with engine trouble . In addition III/KG76 shows a loss of another at Djaideudi-Metouin and II/KG30 one with only location shown as (Sretel Hama) no idea on these two locations . These came from a look in the GQM following the 7th of April I could not find any C or D models , not certain when but one of the NJ units may have operated in the region round this time ,

Regards
Brian Bines
Old 9th August 2016, 12:27
Alter Hase

Good morning Brian.

Thank you so much for your input on Ju 88 losses that day. Looking at the aerodrome of depart (Bone) and "lieu" of combat (60 miles to the North of it), the two possibilities are either that aircraft flown by Lt. Hornack and crew and that one that landed at Villacidro, damaged (I guess this is the most probable).

The 20mm guns had a stoppage (after 2 seconds first burst), leaving the Spitfire pilot only with the machine guns (7.7mm) to fire (he ended his ammo on his second passage firing continuously).

Would you have additional details of this two machines, please (werknummer, codes and crew)?

Thank you very very much Brian.
Adriano
Old 9th August 2016, 12:56
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

Hello Adriano, the one at Villacidro was Ju88 A-4 1H+BT 144407 60% of 9/KG26 no cause given or crew names shown so no one hurt. the other was Ju88 A-4 1H+LR 142105 of 7/KG26 Ff Ltn Hornack Pow, B Uffz Felix Muller +, Bf Ogef Walter Mollerfriedrich Pow, Bs Gef Siegfried Nachtnebel + . Source GQM and 'Die Spur des Lowen ',

Regards
Brian Bines
Old 9th August 2016, 23:00
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

FYI, nothing (10% or more) damage to Ju 88 C or Ju 88 D versions this day in Afrika.
If date & time is correctly reported; a) Ju 88 plane undamaged, b) if under 10% if C or D then not reported, c) if hit under 10% Ju 88 A versions: not reported, d) if over 10%) and reported it could have been Bomber or Torpedo Bomber. These could fly day visual recce missions as well, but that period spring 1943 = Bombers flew by mostly night , so if daylight Recce, then not hit or under 10% ! Recce planes from Italy and Greece could step over, do missions, then flying back. I read some where Night figters did this whilst based in Catania, Sicily. -Ed
Old 10th August 2016, 12:13
Alter Hase

Dear Brian Bines and Ed North

Thank you so much for the kind information. As far as I understand (and from the place of the combat, 60 miles to the North of Bones, plus circumstances - eg. only the 7.7mm machine guns were used, since the 20mm had jammed), the Villacidro machine seems the more probable one.

The pilot did not see any further damage (eg: engine smoking, etc). He did two firing passes and then missed the Ju 88 on a low level mist or stratiffied cloud bank. The report informs that the German rear gunner fired ferociously, but thankfully they were both poor shooters, because no one was wounded and both airplanes came back, to fly another day.

Brian I am indeed most grateful for your piece of information

Ed North, you added the information about the Ju 88 C and D that closed other possibilities, thus narrowing the probable match to the KG 26 machines that Brian had informed.

Thank you again to both of you, whom I mention on the text I am finishing.

Most humbly yours,
Adriano
Old 10th August 2016, 13:22
Alter Hase

edNorth is on a distinguished road

Sorry, in my mind you are possibly trying make the KG 26 fit. There needs be some furter evidence to tie these two events togeater, but so far none has been presented. There were (unfortunately?) many, many, inconclusive engagements. -Ed