Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 26th July 2007, 23:03

Schirmmutze is on a distinguished road
Re: Help Identify Aircraft Tail Panel

Oh and this the werk no, apparently.
On the card.
"Tail Marking from FW190 shot down at Wrotham 1942 found in the boiler room at Wrotham School by Mr J Bird former Caretaker"
Old 26th July 2007, 23:30

Unhappy Re: Help Identify Aircraft Tail Panel

I'm really sorry guys, you must all be fed up with this by now!
Anyway, here's the rear view.
Old 27th July 2007, 03:36

obdl3945 is on a distinguished road

Hi...

When I first saw this, and read that it was not believed to be a Bf109 or Fw190, and probably not a Bf110 either, I thought that it could perhaps have been an Me210... my reasoning for this was as follows:
  1. If the colours showing on the item are a relatively accurate reflection of the colour scheme, then the general 'grey' appearance of the camouflage could perhaps confirm a 1942 timeline, when the RLM 74, 75 & 76 colours were very much in use.
  2. Following the teething problems experienced with the Me210 early in its production run and combat introduction, its re-introduction to combat following a halt and then recommencement of production - April and August 1942 respectively - was undertaken by Versuchstaffel 210 based in Holland, at Soesterberg, this unit being made operational as 16.Staffel/KG6 in August of that year, and making its operational debut over Britain in September. It may be useful to enquire about the location of where this item was found/stored, as the first loss of an Me210 over Britain was to Hawker Typhoons over Yorkshire on 6th September, although it does not necessarily follow that where it was stored was anywhere near where it fell.
In addition, reference to Luftwaffe Colours, 1935-1945 by Michael Ullman (Hikoki), pages 151 and 152, could really confuse the issue, as it provides the detailed dimensions of swastika application to front line aircraft, as per Die Flugzeugmaler for 1944 (under the heading 'Markings 1943'). On page 152 there is clear indication that the expectation (although, admittedly, not necessarily the practice that was followed) was for this marking to be outlined in white and black. Consequently, although I agree that the black outlining of the swastika in general was an early-war practice, clearly, as we are all well aware, the appearance and style of Luftwaffe markings did not always conform to regulation, and this should be borne in mind when considering this item.

Lastly, if we are uncertain as to the exact timeline, and bearing in mind the complexities and idiosyncracies of swastika application throughout the war, could we perhaps also consider it to be an Me410... ?
Old 27th July 2007, 08:27

WEISNER is on a distinguished road

I am no expert by any means, however has any thought been given to the Bombers? The 410 or 210 do not seem to fit either when looking at the tail lines? I wonder if it could be from a He 177? He111 or somthing of this sort?
Kevin
Old 27th July 2007, 15:19

Thanks for the heads up on the 210 and 410 but after having a look, I don't think it belongs either.
Old 27th July 2007, 22:24
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hello Again,

I found this School link and it has history of the School and Caretakers name
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~the.sc...wshistory.html

The School is it seems still in use. So perhaps contact can be made, and perhaps a small peice of the school's history can be returned to it.
There is the post war conection with the Headmaster being ex RAF, and perhaps it was then that this artifact was framed and captioned although with the wrong year.

Alex
Old 27th July 2007, 22:43

Thanks Alex but I wanted to identify it first, then check out if fits the aircraft in the story. There probably was a crash near the school but is this wreckage anything to do with it? maybe not.