Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 15th January 2018, 03:20
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough
Re: Aircraft crash at Addlestone, Surrey 1st July 1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp_burke View Post
I seen that obituary on ancestry also but I don't think the "on active service" statement is reflective of his actual status per the above navy list etc
Hello,

No one was suggesting that it was. The death notices are a private affair between The Times and the person/s that place the notice - it is their terminology. It is not an official RN Roll of Honour notice.

Col.
Old 15th January 2018, 10:28

dp_burke is on a distinguished road

Why are you getting tetchy with me Col

I'm simply giving some (I feel) worthwhile context to the obituary that I think needed to be stated, you don't have to take every message as an attack on your posting(s).
http://www.ww2irishaviation.com

Last edited by dp_burke; 15th January 2018 at 11:16.
Old 16th January 2018, 12:45

BigWeeker is on a distinguished road

Gentlemen
Thank-you all very much for your inputs.
Re Conway: He was a civilian employed by Saunders-Roe. After the accident, his body was taken away by family and buried in East Cowes Cemetery
Re Lamb: Lamb was cremated at Woking Crematorium a few days after the accident and so has no CWGC grave.
Regards
Andy BigWeeker
Old 18th February 2018, 13:39

Hi, all
Identity of the aircraft was X9558. From the Coroners Report, Lamb was ex Lieutenant RN, employed as a civilian at Saunders-Roe. Conway was also employed by S-R.
Lamb was killed instantly in the crash; Conway died five minutes after getting to hospital from injuries received in the crash. Lamb cremated at Woking Cemetary on the 6th July and Conway buried at East Cowes Cemetary on the Isle of Wight
Thanks all for your interest in this
Regards
Andy BigWeeker

Last edited by BigWeeker; 19th February 2018 at 11:11. Reason: Wordage
Old 19th February 2018, 12:58
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks for adding the serial number

Checking Air Britain's book FAA Aircraft 1939-1945 they say X9558 was allocated to SARO 29.6.1942 and add 'not delivered'.

This makes me think they crashed either on the delivery flight or on a pre-delivery test flight.

B Rgds
Stig
Old 19th February 2018, 16:39

Hello, Stig
Thanks for responding. According to the Coroners Report, the (newly built) aircraft was going to undertake its acceptance flight, before being taken on by the military.

Quoting from the Police Report:
" The machine taxied to the end of the field, turned into a slight easterly wind and apparently given full throttle for take-off. It travelled for about 350 yards without becoming airborne, bounced and touched down again, eventually became airborne but did not appear to make sufficient height to clear electric overhead cables which cross boundary of field (practically North to South), a sudden turn was made to the right to avoid the cables and crashed about 35 yards short of them and caught fire."
The book "Sea and Air," a history of Saunders - Roe, states that two of the four blades of the propeller were fixed " the wrong way round"
Hope this is of interest
Regards
Andy B
Old 19th February 2018, 19:03
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Thanks Andy

Yes, that figures. From the wordings used, I thought this particular aircraft was supposed to stay with SARO, but reading other aircraft details, I notice the wording 'allotted at SARO' or 'allotted SARO' on a few others, so perhaps that was not actually the case, or just maybe what is ment is that they were used at SARO for a longer time than normal.

Anyway, thanks for the additional information.

B Rgds
Stig