Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Off Topic

Off Topic Please use this forum to discuss all off topic subjects.

Old 27th February 2021, 21:34
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
German bomb detonated (news footage)

An unexploded bomb discovered by builders has been detonated this evening, about a mile from my home: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56221697

We felt and heard it as a heavy, dull thud. From the measurements that were quoted for its length and diameter, it may have been an SC 1000. When it was dropped (1942?) it would have fallen on open ground.
Old 28th February 2021, 04:24

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough
Re: German bomb detonated (news footage)

Amazing...79 years later.
Old 28th February 2021, 09:49
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

I understand that they didn’t want crowds to gather but it was frustrating that they didn’t announce the time. I live across the valley and would have had a great view from the end of my road — hell, I’d have bought tickets.

Update: Now reported that it was an SC 1000 and left a crater "the size of a double-decker bus". There any many videos online, taken from a safe distance across the river (just search for "Exeter bomb"). The one attached is from the police helicopter thermal camera.
Old 1st March 2021, 16:12

TigerTimon is on a distinguished road

Yes, I can imagine your frustration. Covid also ruined the mass celebrations of 75 years of freedom. :-(
Old 3rd March 2021, 09:10
Super Moderator

Update from last night’s news. The steel sheets they place over the bomb (along with 400 tonnes of sand) to contain the blast were blown on to the roofs of neighbouring houses. A lot of windows and doors were blown in (modern UPVC units don’t seem very blast resistant) and some houses had brickwork damaged but it seems there is no serious structural damage to surrounding houses. You can see the site, pre-explosion, if you look for Glenthorne Road, Exeter on GoogleEarth. The bomb was in the rectangular green area and was found when building work started there.