Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 6th February 2017, 16:48
Alter Hase

byron- is on a distinguished road
The wings of a regia aeronautica fiat g 50 fighter

Hi,
Here some interesting findings by the friend John Terniotis on the island of Rhodes.

"During the summer of 2008, taking advantage of my few days holidays near the ex-Regia Aeronautica airfield of Gadura in Rhodes, I had the opportunity to repeat a few hours “walk around” visit at the area, where during the end of the 80’s I was very happy to discover several relics of ww2 R.A and Luftwaffe aircrafts, as and other militaria.
Considering the fact that already have past 63 years after the end of ww2 (!), it was a pleasant surprise for me to observe locally around still present the evidences of the war period (traces and rusty relics of Italian and German bomb fins of various sizes, a few smashed fuel canisters, several still in use oil and fuel drums with RA and Luftwaffe markings, fragments of exploded general purpose aircraft bombs and remaining of steel tubing pieces belonging to aircraft structures in use as...poles around some fields)
And then, I just could not believe to my eyes, when out side of a farm house store place at a nearby village, I walked in front of two Italian Fiat G50 wings !!!! The aluminum structure of the wings were carrying enough signs of bad treatment of the past years (torn skin sections, dents and scratches of various sizes etc), but having no major indications of corrosion damages and the most serious of all the fasces symbols of Regia Aeronautica as and traces of original cammo and painting, were present on both upper and lower surfaces of each wing !
In according with my knowledge, during the war period the 162nd Fighters Squadron of R.A was stationed at the island (operating with biplanes Fiat CR42) and from mid 1942 received as replacement Fiat G50s fighters ( I am sure the Italian friends of the page will correct me if my knowledge is not correct).
So I presume that the found wings were possible spare parts for replacement in the Air Base, which after the war were taken as loots/spoils by some ones from the nearby villages…
But even so, considering the fact of their condition, I suppose that these were “housed” in the adjacent store building for many years, so survived of the precious metal hunters ( due to aluminum metal structure ) of the post war period. Until during the 2000’s some one decided to get rid of that really heavy stuff which was occupying a lot of store place area, through these out side careless ( as found ) and any way after that, demanding for a lot of money in order to have a deal for the purchasing and the recovering from the site.
Both wings repatriated to where it is deserved to be ( Italy). For me these were too heavy relics and too large in order to be exposed for the public, by my shelf. So initially I shared these wings with a friend of mine, collector in Cos island, who helped me for the recovery.
Why I am presenting this finding of 2008 now ? : In order to inform our Italians friends about who has the credit of this rare part of their Aviation Heritage.!

Last edited by byron-; 3rd June 2017 at 17:59.