Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th February 2012, 22:02

Don Caldwell
My new book Day Fighters in Defence of the Reich in the UK now

I haven't seen the book myself yet, but am assured it looks as good as the proofs, which I approved last June. It should be available in Europe now, from the publisher Pen and Sword or the usual on-line sources. The US won't have it until the end of March, from distributor Casemate, on-line sources, or (with any luck) myself.

Here is description of the book taken from the jacket. (This is immodest, I know, but it's quick.)

The book is a detailed, comprehensive daily reference to the air operations flown by the Luftwaffe against the daylight strategic missions by the United States Army Air Force against the German Reich and the western zone occupied by Germany. It is a unique look at the German air defenses as they struggled to cope with the threat posed by the American 8th and 15th Air Forces, which were charged with destroying Germany’s critical war industries and wresting control of the air over the Reich from the Luftwaffe. The previous volume in this series, The Luftwaffe over Germany: Defense of the Reich is an award-winning narrative history of these defenses. The new book extends the story in an unprecedented fashion, and includes:

• A brief narrative and a table of statistics detailing every mission of every Luftwaffe unit defending the Greater German Reich or the western occupied zone against strategic raids by the USAAF.

• A summary of every 8th and 15th US Army Air Force strategic mission over this area in which the Luftwaffe was encountered.

• Tables of monthly sorties, losses and victory claims by the USAAF and the Luftwaffe over the Reich and the western occupied zone. The growth of the American juggernaut can be followed in detail, as can the ever more futile struggle by the Reich Defense Force. The data allow valihdity of USAAF and Luftwaffe victory claims to be estimated.

• Quarterly orders of battle and casualties for the Reich Defense Force, broken down by aircraft type. The unsuccessful struggle of the Luftwaffe to keep its fighter units up to strength while introducing superior types and the relative vulnerability of its various fighters can be seen at a glance.

• Maps for 32 major missions showing the tracks of the bombers and every defending Luftwaffe unit, including their points of attack on the bombers.

• 189 photographs of Luftwaffe personalities and aircraft, many previously unpublished.

• 72 combat accounts by Luftwaffe pilots, most previously unpublished and all readily available in English for the first time.

This unique and authoritative book is based on documents in the German, American and British government archives and German pilot logbooks and interviews from the author’s extensive collection. Caldwell is well known for his balanced presentations and the clarity of his writing. This book is a must-have for anyone with a serous interest in World War II aviation history.

The book completes the story begun by Caldwell and Dr. Richard Muller in The Luftwaffe over Germany: Defense of the Reich, which won the US Air Force Historical Foundation award for Best Air Power History Book of 2008. Critical praise for this earlier book has been widespread.
Old 14th February 2012, 22:32
Alter Hase

Andy Saunders is on a distinguished road
Re: My new book Day Fighters in Defence of the Reich in the UK now

Hi Don!

It seems an age since we last met in London.

I shall order one of your new books immediately and look forward to it greatly.
Old 14th February 2012, 23:12

mars

Don, I bought your previous book "The Luftwaffe over Germany", could you tell me the difference between these two books? since that both books pretty much covers the same subject
Old 14th February 2012, 23:22

Don Caldwell

Hello Mars --

The first book is a narrative history. The new book contains the data on which the first one was based. It is structured as a war diary, and includes mission lists for every mission the Luftwaffe flew against the 8th and 15th US Air Forces over the Reich and the western occupied zone, plus the additional material shown on the bullet list. It is intended as a supplement to the first book, and in no way duplicates it.
Old 15th February 2012, 00:40
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road

Hello Don
a bit like your JG 26 and the 2 vol The JG 26 War Diary, I suppose.

Juha
Old 15th February 2012, 00:44

Don Caldwell

Hello Juha --

A bit like all my books, but a lot less JG 26 and as many pilot's accounts as I could cram in.

Don
Old 15th February 2012, 00:54
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road

Hello Don
I understand, what I tried to say was that probably the ralationship between your new book and "The Luftwaffe over Germany" is a bit same that the relationship between your 2 vol The JG 26 War Diary and your JG 26 book.

Juha
Old 15th February 2012, 01:07

mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Caldwell View Post
Hello Mars --

The first book is a narrative history. The new book contains the data on which the first one was based. It is structured as a war diary, and includes mission lists for every mission the Luftwaffe flew against the 8th and 15th US Air Forces over the Reich and the western occupied zone, plus the additional material shown on the bullet list. It is intended as a supplement to the first book, and in no way duplicates it.
Thanks, Don, this is exactly what I want to know, will buy your book.
Old 15th February 2012, 01:10

Don Caldwell

I think my reply got lost in the ether. You are exactly right. There is too much material for one book, but I give the readers the option to stop with one, depending on the depth of their interest.
Old 16th February 2012, 02:29

James A Pratt III is on a distinguished road

Hi Don
This book sounds really cool I will definetly read it one day. Your JG 26 books were also fine.