Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th January 2007, 06:42

Rob Romero is an unknown quantity at this point
Jim Perry-Tony Woods Luftwaffe Air Combat Claims List?

My understanding is that Jim Perry is filling in records gaps in Tony Woods Luftwaffe Air Combat Claims List and that this is a ONGOING project –any word on how close this is to completion?

http://www.lesbutler.ip3.co.uk/tony/tonywood.htm

I’m not proficient with Excel (a spreadsheet program) at all –how might this be useful to a researcher?

How up to date are my versions?

25 Dec 2004 my last download of Tony Woods text/word processing version –a great Xmas present IMHO!

23 Oct 06 my last download of Jim Perry’s Excell Spreadsheet Version 25 Dec 2004 –a great Xmas present IMHO!

Thanks,

Rob Romero
Old 19th January 2007, 11:27

mhuxt
Re: Jim Perry-Tony Woods Luftwaffe Air Combat Claims List?

Rob:

Excel lets you search, sort, summarise etc very quickly and easily. So, if you want totals or subtotals, or targeted lists of, for example, how many of which type of aircraft were claimed by which Luftwaffe units between which dates, Excel is the way to go.
Old 19th January 2007, 15:32

Rob Romero is an unknown quantity at this point

PS -Is there a way to convert Excel to Microsoft Word?
Old 19th January 2007, 16:25
Alter Hase

Dénes Bernád will become famous soon enough

Off-topic. Although I am not a spreadsheet expert, I found that MS Access is much better in sorting such kind of extensive data than Excel.
Old 19th January 2007, 16:34
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

Have actually just finished a major re-edit and combining of my lists. Suppose I should send it on to Les Butler. Please note that my 'filling in the gaps' above Tony's transcription of the files he's found is based primarily on recent published sources - I certainly have no 'secret' stash or knowledge. (Of cousre if anyone has information or corrections to contribute, they will be greatly received and acknowlegded.)

BTW, how many rows does Excel allow? I use MS Access and the single combined file now has 70K+ records. It just occurred to me that this may be a problem for Excel.
Old 19th January 2007, 19:30
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

Jim,
I have Office 2000 on my PC, and a check in Excel shows that it has a limit of 65,536 rows. Access, which I have used for close to 15 years (I may still have the discs for Access 1.1 here somewhere) can go over one million (1,000,000). I much prefer Access to Excel for these databases, since the relational aspects will allow much more consistent construction.

I am not sure about the limits on Excel 2003, it may be the same. Excel 2007 may have increased the number of rows.

Further checking on line turned up the following website: http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/...26/474258.aspx

For Excel 2007 (Excel 12) the number of columns was increased from 256 (2^8) to 16K (2^14). The number of rows was increased from 64k (2^16) to 1m (2^20). I would hope that the number of columns in Access was increased also, otherwise you can't import these new Excel files. Well, another check shows that Access has stayed at 256 columns. I really wonder how much support Access has within Microsoft.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Olynyk; 19th January 2007 at 20:13. Reason: Add additional information.
Old 19th January 2007, 19:42
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim P. View Post
Have actually just finished a major re-edit and combining of my lists. Suppose I should send it on to Les Butler. Please note that my 'filling in the gaps' above Tony's transcription of the files he's found is based primarily on recent published sources - I certainly have no 'secret' stash or knowledge. (Of cousre if anyone has information or corrections to contribute, they will be greatly received and acknowlegded.)

BTW, how many rows does Excel allow? I use MS Access and the single combined file now has 70K+ records. It just occurred to me that this may be a problem for Excel.
Jim, I'm using the files you sent to Les and Tony some time (years?) ago and converted them to Excel, as I have not Acces at home. There were allready too many claims to have them on a single sheet, but by dividing them into Western and Eastern claims (as you did in files) Excel is able to use them.

I have currently no more home Internet connexion since more than one month, and still many difficulties to come over to come back fully to the Net community (I'm surfing right now from a public library), but I have noted kept the track of all corrections I did in the file (usually names written in different ways from one record to another, but also some first names missing, completed using for example the last JG 4 and JG 300 books by Monbeek and Laurant respectively). As soon as possible I will send you them, in case you didn't correct them already.

I will be immensely interested in your updated files, especially if you fill in the gap in Eastern claims between October 1941 and July 1942.

Best regards

Laurent
Old 19th January 2007, 20:43

Andy Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim P. View Post

Hi Jim,

What new additions/corrections have you added to your files? Are they taken from Prien's Die Jagdfliegerverbände der Deutschen Luftwaffe: Teil 9/I-III.

I also use Access, I too find the sorting and filtering far better than Excel.

Best Regards

Andy Fletcher
Old 19th January 2007, 21:28
Alter Hase

Jim P. will become famous soon enough

Most updates from Prien, Barbas and Lorant and a few other odds and ends.
Old 19th January 2007, 22:19

RossGmann is on a distinguished road

http://www.coolutils.com/TotalExcelConverter
Cost $39.90

Also try
www.bolton.ac.uk/education/educat/courses/ITT/resources/ICT/data_transfer_example.pdf
http://www.tethyssolutions.com/T72.htm

Kind regards

Ross

Last edited by RossGmann; 20th January 2007 at 03:07. Reason: Additional Information