Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 10th February 2015, 13:29

thlund is on a distinguished road
Looking for Info about Donald K Willis, Finnish, Norwegian AF, RAF and USAAF

I stumbled across this guy, Donald K Willis, but cannot seem to find any more info other than the rather rudimentary I will list here:

Joined the Finnish AF to fight the Russians.
Joined the Norwegian AF 1940 to fight the invading germans.
When Norway fell, joined RAF. Entered No 121 Eagle Squadron.
Transferred to USAAF

Tour expired, but returned to fly P-38's. Shot down over Holland in 44. I saw info about him either being POW or evaded, so that's a bit unclear.

Quite a story and since I really like US spits I'd like to build this one. So info on Willis and also that nose art that is partially shown here on BM590 would be appreciated

Old 10th February 2015, 13:30

Re: Looking for Info about Donald K Willis, Finnish, Norwegian AF, RAF and USAAF

Old 10th February 2015, 13:46
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for Info about Donald K Willis, Finnish, Norwegian AF, RAF and USAAF

This is the E&E report for Maj Donald K Willis.

http://media.nara.gov/nw/305270/EE-800.pdf
Old 10th February 2015, 13:52

Think it is. I've seen a few places that says he was a POW, but also a reference to this EE report (but never seen it).
Old 10th February 2015, 14:02
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

Donald Kenyon Willis (* 1 Aug 1911 in Marion, Indiana) was a foreign volunteer and signed with the Finnish Air Force a contract Nr. 38 on 22 Feb 1940 as an aircraft mechanic (military rank Sergent). Was sent to the Air Academy and quite soon to the T-LentoR 2 (replenishment unit). However, the war ended on 13 March 1940 and Willis was exempt from service on 1 Apr 1940. He never flew against the Russians.

Matti
Old 10th February 2015, 14:15

ssg keay has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thlund, if you do a google search for US Spitfire AV R, you will find several images and prints from side view. Alas, I am on my work computer and not access the site as it is a Russian site and they are blocked on government computers Danny
Old 10th February 2015, 14:28
Alter Hase

RSwank is on a distinguished road

Here is a link to his "POW" record.

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-d...pg=1&rid=20535

I have seen this before where an evader was never a POW but there is a "record". Note there is no Detaining Power (rather the code is 9). Note also the final date is Sept 2, 1944 and no camp is recorded. I think they may have sometimes created this type of record for evaders. Rather confusing.....
Old 10th February 2015, 16:18

Thanks guys

Matti - good info, thanks
Danny - yes I know, but you get the RAF version without the nose art. There is another though 'Olga' written on the aft nose (make sense?)

Mr Swank - I'm beginning to see where the evade/POW confusion come from
Old 10th February 2015, 17:29

vingtor

Never heard about any Donald Willis serving with the Norwegian air arms...

Nils
Old 11th February 2015, 18:17
Alter Hase

Brian is on a distinguished road

Hi thlund

I can add that Don Willis escaped from Norway aboard a Norwegian Air Service He115, reaching Scotland safely (see Flying Sailors at War)

Cheers
Brian