Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 15th July 2021, 13:59

Henofred is an unknown quantity at this point
Major Frank M. Ross – military career, claims

Hello/Bonjour,

To fill in some gaps, I am looking for details regarding the course of Frank Moore Ross, service number O-406490. What I do know is that he belonged to the 33rd Pursuit Squadron, stationed in Iceland as early as August 1941. He then returned to the US for several months and later fought on the Italian front in 1943 (beachheads of the Cassino and Anzio fronts), but I do not know with which Fighter Group or Squadron. Frank Moore Ross was awarded the Air Medal with several oak leaf clusters and the Distinguished Flying Cross. He is credited for two air victories but I do not know the dates for these latter. Frank M. Ross, at the time Major, was killed April 11, 1944 during an air raid over France. I thank you beforehand for your assistance.

Best regards,
Frederic
Old 15th July 2021, 16:54

KM1957 is on a distinguished road
Re: Major Frank M. Ross – military career, claims

Ross claimed a Me 109 destroyed on February 8, 1944 near Cambrai. Study #85 by the USAF also credits him with just one victory. Perhaps any other claim (not with the 365th Fighter Squadron) was awarded as a probable or damaged. I am 99% sure he made no claim in Iceland, but do not have Mediterranean unit records. How do you know he was on the Italian front? I never saw mention of him being in another theater when doing the 365th Fighter Squadron book?

Kent
Old 15th July 2021, 17:17
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

There are Delaware newspaper reports of March 1944 telling he (also) served in Italy on the fronts Frederic said.

Online (books.google) "The Rattle of Theta Chi, Volumes 31-36" text implies he was in Italy for several months between postings in England

Leendert

Last edited by Leendert; 15th July 2021 at 17:27. Reason: Addition
Old 15th July 2021, 18:16

KM1957 is on a distinguished road

Leendert and Frederic,

I apologize--had yet another senior moment, which seem to be happening more frequently. Ross did go to Italy, from approximately March 4 to March 29, 1944 per Secret Orders from the 70th Fighter Wing. He was on detached service to study the use of P-47's in the ground support role. This could narrow down the unit involved possibly. I even had this in my book on page 15-16! Again, sorry for the confusion.

Kent
Old 15th July 2021, 19:39

Henofred is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Kent and Leendert, this is indeed where I found my information. And thank you Kent for these details about his stay in Italy. Very interesting. If not in Iceland or with the 365th FS, he would have shot down an enemy plane in Italy? If we refer to the quoted extract.

Best regards,
Frederic