Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 20th May 2019, 11:49

Smithy is on a distinguished road
Uruguayans in RAF service during WWII

Not sure whether specific numbers are available on this but I was hoping to find out the number of Uruguayans (I'd imagine that they would be exclusively from the British community in the country) who served with the RAF during the war.

And another small question, I had an idea there was a fellow flying with 41 Sqn who was from Uruguay but the name escapes me. Anyone know or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks in advance.

Tim
Old 20th May 2019, 13:56
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough
Re: Uruguayans in RAF service during WWII

Hello,

1262926 F/Sgt Herbert Percival COATES RAFVR (of No.41 Sqn), was born on 8 December, 1919, in Montevideo, Uruguay.

Col.
Old 20th May 2019, 14:07

Many thanks for that, that'll be the chap I was thinking of.

Still hoping that someone might also know how many of these men served with the RAF.
Old 20th May 2019, 23:53
Alter Hase

Leendert will become famous soon enough

This link points to pilot John Hyland and Sgt John Drever as having a connection with Uruguay. Scroll down to 1939-1945: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...#1939–45

Regards,

Leendert
Old 21st May 2019, 00:14

ghostwriter is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Uruguayans in RAF service during WWII

maybe not the best source ...
but there are no uruguayans listed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Br...tle_of_Britain

regards
Old 21st May 2019, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
maybe not the best source ...
but there are no uruguayans listed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Br...tle_of_Britain

regards
There were obviously none in the Battle of Britain as that is well documented with books such as Wynn's but we know for a fact that a number of British Uruguayans served in the RAF during the war. The RAF obviously had a presence for recruitment in Uruguay (you'd have to imagine that this was most probably only in Montevideo) due to men volunteering and signing up in that country. Uruguay had a modest yet very active British community and I'm interested to know the number of men who served who came from there.

And Kaki3152, I'd imagine you're referring to Alvaro Cuenca's book, "Deber y aventura", a book which I don't have either and yet probably holds the answer or at least the closest attempt at it. Perhaps a member here has it and can help?
Old 21st May 2019, 15:38
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leendert View Post
This link points to pilot John Hyland and Sgt John Drever as having a connection with Uruguay. Scroll down to 1939-1945: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...#1939–45

Regards,

Leendert
Hello,

Re: John Alexander DREVER. 1282863 Sgt (W.Op./Air Gnr.). J A Drever RAFVR, was not missing in February 1942. His aircraft, No.162 Sqn Wellington IC Z8905, was lost on 6/7 March 1942 (see: BLME1/Gunby & Temple/130). Also aboard Z8905, was AUS407955 Sgt R G Tregenza RAAF. Tregenza's A705 mentions that Dreyer's next-of-kin was nominated as his mother, Mrs C W Drever, of Massini 3370, Montevideo, Uruguay.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Sear...aspx?B=1082208 (p.71 of 72).

Col.
Old 21st May 2019, 00:41
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe not in B of B but surely later. The British contingent in Uruguay was probably less than in other larger South American nations such as Argentina and Brazil.

There is a large book on Argentine-English aircrew but too expensive for my blood, along with delivery. There were also Chilean and Brazilian English who served.
Old 21st May 2019, 03:27
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

That wasn't the book I was thinking of but did you know you can get a kindle version of "Deber y Aventura" for $3.00?

See link
https://www.amazon.com/Deber-aventur.../dp/B0774QB7VF
Old 21st May 2019, 09:40

I've seen that Kaki but I don't really want to buy the book being unaware of whether it may or may not contain what I'm after. I'm also wary of how much detail and specifics are given to the RAF volunteers or whether the information in it is merely cursory. For now I'm just interested in knowing the level of contribution from Uruguay in terms of the amount of men who served if that is possible to find out.