Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Closed Thread

Old 25th December 2017, 22:23
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough
Re: Me410 14/KG2 20th December 1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Rizzotti View Post
Technically German POWs remained POWs after May 1945 because the war did not end at this date, only fighting did. At this date the German forces surrendered but the end of state of war was in 1950-1951 for Western Powers and in 1955 for USSR.

This brings me some questions about the status of Italian POWs after October 1943, where Italy was a cobelligerent of the Allies while the peace treaty between Italy and the Allies was only signed in 1947.

Well, your first paragraph flies in the face of all that I have been told by several German pows regarding their status.

Also, tell me how you arrive at the end of the war in the west being 1950-51.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 25th December 2017, 22:35
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
At what time exactly they returned home ??

Always amazed to see that by the americans or frenchs some returned only in 1946, when they returned ..

Rémi
The allies had a sytem of categorising the German prisoners by colour:
White = those who were not indoctrinated into the Nazi system, and therefore needed little in the way of 'teaching' them about the evil of what the Third Reich had done;
Grey = those who may be considered to have been sway by the Nazi doctrine to some degree, and needed to 'dis-indoctrinated' (for want of a better word) regarding the Third Reich; and
Black = those the allies definitely believed were Nazis. Those in this category went through a programme which totally exposed for them all the horrors of what the Third Reich had done. I believe this 'course' took several months.

The 'White's were the first batch to be repatriated, followed by the 'Grey's, and lastly the 'Black's. The timing of repatriation was not only therefore driven by these categories, but also by the capability of the allies to get the pows back to Germany and discharge them in the proper way, as well as those already held on mainland Europe at the end of the war. It was a massive undertaking, as can be imagined. And once discharged, they were on their own - the infrastructure of Germany was shot at war's end. George Jakstadt (pilot, 9./ZG 26) told me that when he was discharged in Hamburg, he then walked the 250 kilometres to his home, and said it was a common sight to see returning servicement on the roads walking home.

There was an excellent documentary on TV here several years ago about this very subject of how the pow situation was handled, and it was most interesting.

Hope this helps.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Old 26th December 2017, 01:04
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vasco View Post
Well, your first paragraph flies in the face of all that I have been told by several German pows regarding their status.

Also, tell me how you arrive at the end of the war in the west being 1950-51.
Diplomatically, 1950 or 1951 is the date where the Western countries declared the end of the state of war with Germany. So until this date, they were technically at war with it.

There was no peace treaty with Germany at the end of WWII, due the Cold War starting soon. The Treaty on the Final Settlement With Respect to Germany was finally negociated in 1990.

To return to the German POWs in 1945, I know mostly the situation in France where Germans POWs were used to rebuild the country and clean minefields (with French experts) until the end of 1948. And they had a POW status. At least for French it was normal, as in 1940 France capitulated and more than 2 000 000 men were sent in POW camps in Germany, most of them until being liberated in 1945 by the Allies.

I know that in 1945 and 1946, hundred of thousands of German POWs were delivered to the French by Americans. 600 000 should be delivered in 1946 but these "deliveries" were stopped in 1946 by the Americans, that say they needed manpower in Germany. This seems to indicate that Americans did not release all POWs available in Germany. But another source says that numerous German POWs delivered to French were returning from USA to Europe. I guess they were excepting to return to Germnay and were heavily disappointed.

Great Britain itself did not start to send back its German POWs to Germany in September 1946 and ended in 1948. By late 1947, almost all restriction on German POW movement and extra camp activities were lifted... which means that they existed before this date.

The fact that in most countries after 1945 German POWs could work outside POW camps and even life in farms with local families did not cancel their POW status, meaning that they couldn't return to their home country. French POW in Germany live the same situation in 1940-1945 (and at least some effectively replaced German farmers completely in this period).
Old 26th December 2017, 12:23
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

My post hs been deleted ,,??

Rémi
Old 26th December 2017, 14:12
Alter Hase

This site gives figures nd explain how POWs could hv been handle, not so irenic as John said..

http://www.ifz-muenchen.de/heftarchi..._1_4_smith.pdf

Rémi
Old 26th December 2017, 19:33
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Rizzotti View Post
Diplomatically, 1950 or 1951 is the date where the Western countries declared the end of the state of war with Germany. So until this date, they were technically at war with it.

There was no peace treaty with Germany at the end of WWII, due the Cold War starting soon. The Treaty on the Final Settlement With Respect to Germany was finally negociated in 1990.

To return to the German POWs in 1945, I know mostly the situation in France where Germans POWs were used to rebuild the country and clean minefields (with French experts) until the end of 1948. And they had a POW status. At least for French it was normal, as in 1940 France capitulated and more than 2 000 000 men were sent in POW camps in Germany, most of them until being liberated in 1945 by the Allies.

I know that in 1945 and 1946, hundred of thousands of German POWs were delivered to the French by Americans. 600 000 should be delivered in 1946 but these "deliveries" were stopped in 1946 by the Americans, that say they needed manpower in Germany. This seems to indicate that Americans did not release all POWs available in Germany. But another source says that numerous German POWs delivered to French were returning from USA to Europe. I guess they were excepting to return to Germnay and were heavily disappointed.

Great Britain itself did not start to send back its German POWs to Germany in September 1946 and ended in 1948. By late 1947, almost all restriction on German POW movement and extra camp activities were lifted... which means that they existed before this date.

The fact that in most countries after 1945 German POWs could work outside POW camps and even life in farms with local families did not cancel their POW status, meaning that they couldn't return to their home country. French POW in Germany live the same situation in 1940-1945 (and at least some effectively replaced German farmers completely in this period).
Laurent,
Putting it bluntly, what I have highlighted in bold in what I have quoted from you above is rubbish. For the simple reason that the terms were unconditional surrender. The Allies WERE NOT PREPARED TO & DID NOT enter into any negotiations regarding terms, hence the reason why Germany had to be 100% over-run, and the structure of the Third Reich dismantled 100%. To claim that 'diplomatically' the war did not end until 1950-51 is garbage, and it has to be called out as such. What happened post-1945 was called reconstruction, which, in keeping with the setting up of a new German Government, would have meant making arrangements with that Government as to the way forward, and as to the way things would be done, going forward.

The volume of German prisoners at the end of the war was such that they could not all be suddenly dumped back into Germany in one fell swoop. To do so would be stupidity on a grand scale. So if former German prisoners were employed on helping to return the infrastructure to what it was previously where they were based, at the time, do you see any harm in that? Were they ALL to be left to sit on ther arses and do nothing for years? Come on, Laurent, get real...

Old 26th December 2017, 21:58
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

May I urge all concerned to conduct this discussion in words reflecting seasonal goodwill?
Thanks.
Old 26th December 2017, 22:18
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Beale View Post
May I urge all concerned to conduct this discussion in words reflecting seasonal goodwill?
Thanks.
Maybe you need also to ask some to post sensible posts also, Nick. To say WW2 in Europe finished in 1950-51 (and not only that, but try to justify it as well...) is one person's attempt to re-write history. And quite frankly, it insults the intelligence of the many on here who quite simply know otherwise...

Old 26th December 2017, 22:27
Alter Hase

John Vasco, you are funny ! Goodwill times of the moment is Chritmas, not Carnival

Rémi
Old 26th December 2017, 22:41
Alter Hase

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
John Vasco, you are funny ! Goodwill times of the moment is Chritmas, not Carnival

Rémi
Nice of you to think I'm funny.

On the point in question, I'm quite serious. Doesn't matter whether it is posted at Christmas or mid-year...

Closed Thread