Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 27th July 2017, 22:29

vvkj41 is on a distinguished road
Re: E-bay founds - Hurricane, probably France 1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwest2 View Post
A book about the Royal Yugoslav Air Force. Unfortunately, the text is in Cyrillic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Yugosl...-/232136659637

Usual disclaimer,
Ed
Hi there Ed,

Coincidently I’m the author of the mentioned book. I publish it last summer but without promotion on forum since it’s in Serbian. Looks like mistake now... Frank Olynyk stumble upon it on eBay at astonishing price of 100 USD!! It’s Vol I out of four planned.

Best
Aleks

PS I will make presentation at forum after all as soon as I return from vacation...
Old 27th July 2017, 23:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Boak View Post
We still have the problem on the non-standard propeller and spinner, unlike any combination seen on other RAF Hurricanes in May 1940. Does it look like the late Yugoslav propeller and its spinner?

Another possibility is that it is an early metal Rotol, which were tried on one unit of Spitfires in this period, but that would mean a different spinner.
Hello Graham,

I attached six photos of Yugoslav Hurricane spinners and props. First three represents license build machines at “Zmaj” factory. “Yugo license 1”shows Hurricane 2347 next to the last one produced. So, if there was any Yugoslav “Rogozarski” props used on Hurricanes, this must be the one...
Other three photos (“British changed”) shows British machines from first imported batch, originally equipped with two bladed Watts, later to be replaced. Hope it helps a bit.

Aleks
Old 28th July 2017, 01:18
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road

If interested in Aleks' book, wait until he comes back from vacation. It is *considerably* cheaper from Leadensky than the copy on eBay.

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 28th July 2017, 09:14
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

Thanks Aleks. I may be over-thinking this. Perhaps it is indeed just the DH spinner designed for the Hurricane, which was longer and more pointed than the more familiar Spitfire one. It just seems too much so...

For the moment I don't have access to my Hurricane books, so I'll just sit back and enjoy the photos.
Old 22nd August 2017, 07:50

Faenor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenor View Post
Hello Mr. Boak,

agree with your comment and there are other 2 photos - probably on same plane (look at the blades position) .... probably one from many Hurries, which were left in France .....

Faenor
Hi all,

this topic did not stop, we still search and I need your help:

1.direction - photo of same Hurri, or in same position is probably in the book First of the Few: 5 June - July 1940 from Brian Cull. But I have not this book in my library. Can somebody check it?

2.direction - similar photo was seen by my friend in album dedicated to the fighting in Greece 1941- similar flat country and Hurri in same position. During one week, he will find and send to me for compary.

3. direction - Aleks is right and this Hurri is one from Yugoslav Hurricane

Thanks for help

Faenor
Old 23rd August 2017, 00:04

markjsheppard is an unknown quantity at this point

One to try and ID. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Orig-Foto-Flu...sAAOSwxbpZnGnJ
Old 25th August 2017, 15:21
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

I can't identify it, but suggest that the codes imply a 607 Sq aircraft with unit codes AF, as the unit apparently did not carry individual codes at this time.
Old 25th August 2017, 21:51

Smithy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjsheppard View Post
Here's a suggestion...

If you enlarge the photo and look at the serial number area, it's fuzzy but you can make out the top half of the serial. If we consider that Hurricanes lost during the Battle of France (from which judging by paint scheme it almost certainly is from) had the first letter of the serial as either L, N or P. Although it's indistinct the first letter right beside that German fellow's neck could very well be the top of a P. The first number is indistinct and the second appears open on its top right so perhaps a 5 or 6. The third number is most probably a 1 and the fourth could be an 8.

I agree the F in the code suggests 607 Sqn. If we take all this into account and cross reference with losses during the Battle of France, there's the chance that this photo could be of P2618, lost with her pilot F/O Gerald Cuthbert on the morning of the 14th May at Aische-en-Refail.

Just an idea.

Tim
Old 1st September 2017, 21:39

Faenor is on a distinguished road
Re: E-bay founds - Hurricane, probably France 1940 or Yugoslavia 1941

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenor View Post
Hi Aleks - fully understand :-)

For you and all, who is interesting in this topic - on e-bay, there is set of 3 photos:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-RAF-Hawk...UAAOSwjyxZb0wX
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-RAF-Hawk...0AAOSwSKlZb0zQ
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Foto-RAF-Hawk...4AAOSwajRZb000

No roundel on wing (maybe I´m blind) , no flag on tail (good point from previous discussion) and on the 3rd photo is some wooden stool with inscription, which I can´t read - maybe somebody younger or with more info

Faenor
Hi all,

this Hurricane is solved - its Belgian Hawker Hurricane Mk.I - code 27 - there is photo with marking and check with the background.

Faenor
Old 4th September 2017, 11:58

Hello guys,

Yap, it's Belgian... Anyone want's to buy no.2...
Here is another one, it's ancient ebay as well.

Aleks