Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 19th February 2005, 18:05

robert_schulte is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking for a good Battle of Britain-book

As my interests up till now were mainly the "later" years of the war, I'd like to expand it now to the Battle of Britain. So for an entry, I am looking for a good book about this topic, which is affordable and even more, which is available (in Germany).
I have several books on my list, the top two are:
"The most dangerous enemy" by Stephen Bungay
and "The Battle of Britain" by Richard Overy
Can anybody give me a recommendation, which book(s) I should buy? None of the above? Or both? What is in the one book that the other one does not handle?
A lot of questions...
Many thanks in advance
Robert
Old 19th February 2005, 23:55
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Battle of Britain

Bungay's "Most Dangerous Enemy" gives an excellent analysis of the battle. I would recomment it.

However, it is not a good choice if you want day-by-day details of losses: for that "Battle of Britain Then and Now" is the one to get but it's expensive.
Old 20th February 2005, 06:46

Dick Powers
BoB Books

I still like Frank Mason's "Battle Over Britain" and Wood and Dempster's "The Narrow Margin". Both, I think, are still availabe in the US. Not sure about Germany. Both books are similar in scope and,despite some factual mistakes are reasonably comprehensive.

RIchard Overy's book "The Battle of Britain" presents a good high level analysis of the BoB, but it assumes the reader is familiar with the battle. IT doesn't go into a lot of detail.
Old 20th February 2005, 10:13

Many thanks, I guess I'll start with Bungay's book. Can anybody tell me the difference between "The most dangerous enemy" and "The narrow margin"?
Old 20th February 2005, 13:27

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough
Bungay

well, the Narrow Margin was originally written in 1961 and provides a summarized daily chronicle that is not always necessarily as detailed as it could be..Bunguy's work appeared in 2000, the guy is an academic ( I think), a German linguist (I always think it helps) and re-examines the 'myth', providing a decent synthesis of all that has gone before, with much material drawn from the German side and incorporating the work of researchers such as Messrs Vasco & Cornwell & Goss..it is also extensively footnoted..and available in handy, cheap paperback format for reading on the train...
Old 20th February 2005, 21:37
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: BoB Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Powers
I still like Frank Mason's "Battle Over Britain"
I agree with you 100%. I'm just not sure it's still available. Sure there are erros that have been recognised since it came out in 1969 but Mason gives a tremendous feel for unfolding events and also a valuable account of the evolution of air defence of Britain from the the Great war through to 1940.

Another good source was the Air Miistry daily bulletins from the Battle that were published by the UK Ministry of Defence on their website (www.mod.gov.uk) for the 60th Anniversary. I haven't checked if they are still there but if they are, they are evocative reading.
Old 20th February 2005, 22:18

Dick Powers
Not to Mention THat...

"Battle OVer" Britain and "The MIghty Eighth" (published about the same time) were ground-breaking books in scope and presentation that set the standard for many years.
Old 21st March 2005, 10:11
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough
Re: Battle Over Britain by Francis K. Mason

First of all, when it came out in 1969, it was the first to comprehensively cover the BoB on a day-to-day basis, and became the 'must-have' reference source for many researchers. For that, Mason must be applauded for what he produced, given the limited information available at the time.

However, when the second edition came out, it appears that the text was not updated to incorporate new facts and information that had been published in the meantime. That let the second edition down considerably.

Bringing things up to present, I'm afraid to say that now there are many things that are incorrect in it, and only by cross-checking with other works will a more accurate picture of some events become clear (I don't want to read in another book, for example, that S/Ldr. Thompson of 111 Sqdn. shot down Rubensdörffer on the Croydon raid!). By all means use Mason's books as a lead-in to exploring the BoB in greater detail, but don't take all that is said in there as gospel. If you do, you will come a cropper on many things.

Bungay's book is excellent in its research and analysis, and delivers findings and conclusions in a cogent way, demolishing forever some long-held 'myths' that have prevailed for decades. Peter Townsend's 'Duel of Eagles' is an excellent read. BoBT&N is an excellent source, but I know that a lot more information has come to light since it first appeared (this is not a criticism, my 'Stück Puch' friend!) and an updated edition would simply blow all competition away for all time!

The great thing is, new information and new photos are coming to light all the time, expanding our knowledge of that period. Long may it continue.

John Vasco

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!
Old 22nd March 2005, 08:37

Re: Looking for a good Battle of Britain-book

John,

many thanks for your kind comment, it is very informative. So, having received my copy of "The most dangerous enemy" now (though not looked in it yet), I guess I'll try to get a cheaper copy of BoBT&N at Ebay to get more in depth.

BTW, what do you mean with "Stück Puch"??? Never heard that expression.

Robert
Old 23rd March 2005, 17:28
Alter Hase

John Vasco will become famous soon enough
Re: Looking for a good Battle of Britain-book

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert_schulte
John,

BTW, what do you mean with "Stück Puch"??? Never heard that expression.

Robert
It is simply a friendly phrase used by myself and someone else. He will understand when he reads this thread.

Splinter Live at The Cavern, November 2006: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOCksQUKbI

Danke schön, Dank schön ich bin ganz comfortable!