Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 22nd February 2011, 23:32
Awaiting Confirmation

Flavio
W/C Skalski Spitfire "SS"

Just found on this forum (http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/researc...ircraft-2.html) this photo (RAF Northolt wrote on the back 1944).
In my opinion it could be:

1- W/C S. Skalski's personal plane when at the head of N°131 Wing (13/12/43 – 3/4/44);

2- W/C S. Skalski's personal plane when he was attached as Wing Commander operation with HQ, 11 Group (Feb-May 45);

3- W/C R. W. "Sammy" Sampson when at the head of N°145 Wing (Jan-Aug '45).

Please any comment will be welcome.

Flavio
Old 5th April 2011, 10:08

Dominik is on a distinguished road
Re: W/C Skalski Spitfire "SS"

As far as I know Skalski didn't fly Spitfire with SS markings. He only flew Mustang III. The spitfire in the photo is probably Sampson's Spitfire.
Old 5th April 2011, 11:28

Fairlop

Hi,

If my memory serves well, it is personal Spitfire of "Sammy" Sampson.

Regards,
Michal
Old 9th April 2011, 04:10

Tom Semenza

If the caption on the back of the photo is correct that rules out Sampson since he was Winco of 145 in 1945 on the continent. 131 (Polish) Wing was based at Northolt in 1944 however the plane seems to bear under fuselage D-Day stripes which would rule out Skalski. The stripes are certainly not the standard size but there is a photo in 2nd TAF, Vol. 4 showing such stripes on a 64 Sqn. Spit of just about the same size and location. This places the photo during the latter half of 1944. So for me the mystery remains.

Tom
Old 9th April 2011, 19:21

Chris Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Semenza View Post
If the caption on the back of the photo is correct that rules out Sampson since he was Winco of 145 in 1945 on the continent. 131 (Polish) Wing was based at Northolt in 1944 however the plane seems to bear under fuselage D-Day stripes which would rule out Skalski. The stripes are certainly not the standard size but there is a photo in 2nd TAF, Vol. 4 showing such stripes on a 64 Sqn. Spit of just about the same size and location. This places the photo during the latter half of 1944. So for me the mystery remains.

Tom
Quote from Sampson's biography, 'Spitfire Offensive' (Grub St, 1994). "Although not a wing commander, I did have access to my own Spitfire, another Mark VII, and rather cheekily I had 'SS' painted on the side to denote its owner."

This was autumn 1944 when Sampson was a Sqn Ldr in the Operations section at 10 Group HQ. Examples of Spits with the undersized D-Day stripes have been noted on at least three of the 10 Group Spit sqns. It looks very much as though the illustrated Spit is Sampson's Spit VII at that time.

Last edited by Chris Thomas; 9th April 2011 at 22:53.
Old 10th April 2011, 03:58

Tom Semenza

"By George, I think you've got it!"

Thanks, Chris.

Cheers,
Tom