Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 7th February 2013, 10:36

Marcel Hogenhuis will become famous soon enough
10 August 1944 and 78th FG USAAF

Hello all,

Some gun camera footage of 83rd FS of the 78th FG USAAF shows several strafings of German aircraft on 10 August 1944. As a poor old nightfighter buff, mainly researching Venlo airfield in WW-2, I would appreciate to know more details where 83rd FG went to on that day.

Has somebody access to a narrative somewhere ? Many thanks in advance!

Marcel Hogenhuis / Venlo
Old 7th February 2013, 11:25
Alter Hase

Col Bruggy will become famous soon enough
Re: 10 August 1944 and 78th FG USAAF

Hello,

78th Fighter Group - 10 August 1944.

On August 10 (1944)*, Captain Charles Peal was leading his flight along a railway line near Saarbrucken searching for trains when he spotted twenty to thirty He111s and Ju52s hidden under camouflage nets in the woods beside a large grass field at Chateau Salines. Eleven 83rd Squadron pilots left fourteen of these bombers and transports blazing from their gunnery runs.

* Quotes date as 19 August, which is incorrect.

See:
Eagles of Duxford:The 78th Fighter Group in World War II.
Fry,Garry L.
St. Paul:Phalanx Pub.,1991.
p.75.

Col.

Last edited by Col Bruggy; 7th February 2013 at 11:56.
Old 7th February 2013, 12:31
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

It looks from the attached as if TG 30 may have been the unit concerned.
Old 7th February 2013, 13:39

Hello Bruggy and Nick,

Thanks for your quick responses, most appreciated! When I saw the ULTRA snippet, Rouvers did ring a bell: there is a reasonable chance that actually Rouvres-en-Woëvre (NE of Verdun) is meant.

For this Feldflugplatz I have a damaged He219 ! On several occasions, Heinkel documents report that this particular He219 was to be sent (or sent) to Cheb/Eger, but the different dates of these reports strongly suggests, that either this move might not have been effectuated. Can't remember either that Rouvres was described in the Crashed Enemy Aircraft Reports of the Techn.Air Intel. teams...

It's a thin thread between a damaged He219 in Rouvres and 10 August 1944 and I am also worried that the location given by Bruggy is not the same as suggesed by the ULTRA message. To put it in other words: if the 83rd FS never came along Rouvres, the footage does not show strafings of Rouvres Feldflugplatz...

All the best, Marcel
Old 7th February 2013, 14:40
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Marcel -

This is the only airfield in France used by the Luftwaffe with the name Rouvres:

Étain (FR) (a.k.a. Étain-Rouvres) (49 13 25 N – 05 40 45 E)
General: landing ground in E France 39 km WNW of Metz; airfield located 3.25 km ENE of Étain. Lw. Code: Feldflugplatz 617. History: used as a landing ground by the French Air Force in May-Jun 40. No Luftwaffe activity seen there until the beginning of 1943. Surface and Dimensions: grass surface in good condition measuring approx. 1235 x 1415 meters (1350 x 1550 yards) with an irregular shape. No paved runway. Equipped with perimeter lighting, a beam approach system and a probable flare-path. Fuel and Ammunition: had triple refueling points at the NE and SW corners. Infrastructure: there were 2 workshop huts and the SE corner. Personnel were accommodated in the local farms and villages. The nearest rail connection was in Étain. Dispersal: no organized dispersal facilities as of Apr 44 - aircraft were parked along the perimeter or in fields off the E boundary. Defenses: none noted in Apr 44.

The only unit I can find that was actually based there in mid-summer 1944 was Sanitäts-Flugbereitschaft 4. So TGr. 30, which was based at Metz-Diedenhofen at that time, must have been using it as a dispersal field.

You say you are "a poor old nightfighter buff", Marcel. So I am guessing that those two cute kiddies in your avatar are your great-grandchildren?

L.
Old 7th February 2013, 16:33
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

I think the RAF used Rouvres in 1940 as well. I seem to remember the name from Paul Richey's "Fighter pilot."
Old 7th February 2013, 20:56

Hello Larry,

I was just thinking of a honestly meant flattering remark for your most kindly provided details about this airfield, but your last remark is really a way to spoil a good and long lasting intercontinental cooperation between a master of airwar and a curiousdisciple from the Netherlands... But I might get over it next carnaval days and a couple of beers (:-)

I dry my tears and comfort myself that I have at least an avatar which does not scare of you and other repliants of this thread haha!

Back to the subject: Google Maps still show an airfield of after war origin there, funny!

All the best and stop laughing about me,
Marcel
Old 7th February 2013, 21:13

Tony Kambic will become famous soon enough

Good memory Nick. Page 31 of Fighter Pilot by Paul Richey, "Our new airfield was at Vassincourt, near Bar-le-Duc, fifty miles east of Reims. 73 Squadron went to Rouvres, near Verdun, northeast of us" ( October 9, 1939)
Old 8th February 2013, 00:49

shooshoobaby is on a distinguished road

Marcel -
August 10,44
The 82d Sq. , 78th FG Ground claims - 2 Ju 88s destroyed and damaged
near Verdun.
83d Sq. Also had a few Ground claims near Conflans.
Mike
Old 8th February 2013, 01:54
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Quote:
But I might get over it next carnaval days and a couple of beers (:-)
Enjoy!