Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 14th October 2008, 13:58

FalkeEins will become famous soon enough
Re: Gabreski T-Bolt Questions

Hi Nige,

....glad you found us & welcome to TOCH. Thanks for the comprehensive analysis !

cheers

Neil
Old 14th October 2008, 16:09

rpeck350 is on a distinguished road

I pretty sure I have seen a photo of him by the cockpit with more than the 28 kill markings ,3 ? more under the 28 but the photo's of the belly landing shows only the 28.
I need to search around.
Rick
Old 14th October 2008, 18:14

lampie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeck350 View Post
I pretty sure I have seen a photo of him by the cockpit with more than the 28 kill markings ,3 ? more under the 28 but the photo's of the belly landing shows only the 28.
I need to search around.
Rick
Gabby is often credited with 31 kills in WW2. I believe, but Im not 100% on this, that the other 3 were ground "kills".
The 31 total is not to be confused with his total score (including Korea) of 34.5.

The most common photos of Gabbys HV-A around July 44 show the scoreboard at either 27 or 28 kills.
As is confirmed by the photos of his T'bolt bellylanded, the final score displayed was 28.
There are also the staged publicity photos taken after Gabby passed Bob Johnsons score of 27.

If anyone can clarify the details behind the "31" total I would be interested to know them.
I have quite an extensive library of 56th references but Im away from home for a few more weeks and wont be able to research this myself just yet.

Nige
Old 14th October 2008, 23:11

drgondog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampie View Post
Either way, it's an interesting photo/query but I don't think there's anything out of the ordinary here.

Exactly. No conspiracy theories in this case.

The victory markings on Gabbys plane were indeed stickers/decals which the man himself confirms in his book. These would have certainly reacted to the light in a different way to the paint on the aircraft itself.
As for Gabby ever dropping a bomb?
I have never seen a photo of Gabbys T'bolt with the underwing shackles fitted, so given that the only attachment point for a drop tank remaining is the centre fusalage shackles I think its very unlikely that he ever dropped ordnance.
Nige
Nige - every Fighter Group in 8th AF flew many Fighter Bomber Sweeps in France during entire first month of Normandy campaign, including 56th.

Not coincidentally these were times when the 4th (twice in Mustangs), the 78th and 353rd had big fights air to air on the deck in the 47 and suffered higher than normal losses.

Regards,

Bill
Old 14th October 2008, 23:14

drgondog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampie View Post
Gabby is often credited with 31 kills in WW2. I believe, but Im not 100% on this, that the other 3 were ground "kills".
The 31 total is not to be confused with his total score (including Korea) of 34.5.

The most common photos of Gabbys HV-A around July 44 show the scoreboard at either 27 or 28 kills.
As is confirmed by the photos of his T'bolt bellylanded, the final score displayed was 28.
There are also the staged publicity photos taken after Gabby passed Bob Johnsons score of 27.

If anyone can clarify the details behind the "31" total I would be interested to know them.
I have quite an extensive library of 56th references but Im away from home for a few more weeks and wont be able to research this myself just yet.

Nige
2/22/44 Do 217 dest Eindhoven
3/8/44 Fw 190 (1 dest-4damaged) at Weinstorf
4/9/44 1/2 UI/te shared w/Matthew
7/7/44 He 111 Dest Bassenheim

3.5-4 Ground, 28 air
Old 14th October 2008, 23:36

Thanks for that
Naturally I was aware the 56th flew fighter bomber sweeps.
I only said that Id never seen a photo of Gabbys last T'bolt with underwing shackles fitted.
They were quite easily removable I gather, and there are photos of other 56th FG planes with them attached,not attached, attached again etc.
Nige
Old 15th October 2008, 12:43

SMF144

So....where's Jack's two-cents on this matter?
Old 15th October 2008, 15:18

JACK COOK

Well...........this has been a cool discussion which is why I like to post pictures! There's always more than meets the eye!! Dave O'Hare, of the 354th FG, liked to say that a picture is worth a 1000 words and that's very true in this case. I zoomed in one the cockpit are and yes the frame is NMF but there's no kill flags. No only possible reason is they're censored out. Tonight I'll post a close up.
Old 15th October 2008, 15:55

rpeck350 is on a distinguished road

Found the photo.It is in the book "Beware the Thunderbolt" which is a Schiffer book on the 56 th FG page 110.
Don't have a scanner or camera that works to post photo so maybe some else may have that book.
Jack you are correct in that this is a interesting thread.
Rick
Old 15th October 2008, 18:03

I have the book but Im away from home for another two weeks so dont have access.
I'll have to wait and see what appears in the latest installment of "Gabreskigate"
Very interested to see the latest "evidence"
Nige