Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 9th January 2009, 18:44

David P. Williams is an unknown quantity at this point
Wing Commander V.J Wheeler MC, Bar DFC, Bar

I am looking for any information on Wing Commander Vashon James Wheeler M C & Bar, DFC & Bar who was killed on 22/23/03/44 on a raid against Frankfurt. His service number was 76594. He took over command of 207 Squadron in February 1944 and was 46 years of age when he was killed!

I am most interested in when and how he was awarded his Military Crosses. Was he awarded these during the First War as a member of the RFC, or as a soldier fighting in the trenches?

His family originated from Clee Stanton in Shropshire.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, David.
Old 9th January 2009, 19:19

Amrit1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Wing Commander V.J Wheeler MC, Bar DFC, Bar

Military Cross (Both the citations for his MC and for the Bar were recorded in the same issue of the LG 21 JAN, 1920 - both appear to be the British involvement in the Russian Civil War)

Lt. Vashon James Wheeler,. Rifle Bde.,.attd. 45th Bn., Royal Fus,
At Vosnesenskoe he was in charge of a flank party in a raid on the 2nd September, 1919. He was surrounded on three sides by the enemy at close quarters. He acted with great courage and determination, and with is small party drove off the enemy and inflicted severe loss on him.

Bar to MC
Lt. (A./Capt.) Vashon James Wheeler, M.C., Rif. Brig,, attd. 45th Bn, R. Fus.
He did excellent work with his patrols on the 7th, 8th and 9th September, 1919, always gaining touch with the enemy. He also led his platoon witih great gallantry and dash in the raid on Kodema on 8th September, and six hours later led them in a most successful counter-attack.

Distinguished Flying Cross 30 SEPTEMBER, 1941

Acting Squadron Leader Vashon James WHEELER, M.C. (76594), Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 85 Squadron.
This officer has performed excellent operational work' during a long period, including convoy patrols and reconnaissance missions over enemy territory. He has also carried out a large number of operational flying hours by night. One night in May, 1941, Squadron Leader Wheeler attacked and probably destroyed a Heinkel in. The following night he damaged a Junkers 88, setting its port engine on fire. Throughout, Squadron Leader Wheeler has shown great devotion to duty and an intense desire to engage the enemy.

Bar to Distinguished Flying Cross. 24 SEPTEMBER, 1943
Acting Wing Commander Vashon James WHEELER, M.C., D.F.C. (76504) Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, No. 157 Squadron.
This officer has led the squadron on very many sorties during which locomotives and other targets on the ground have been attacked with telling effect. Much of the success achieved can be attributed to Wing Commander Wheeler's inspiring leadership and skill. His courageous example has been worthy of great praise.
Old 10th January 2009, 00:10
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I believe that somewhere I have a photo of him if this is of any use
Old 10th January 2009, 07:11

Gentlemen,

Thank you both very much for your timely responses.

Amrit, many thanks for the citations i am very grateful and a great start to my research.

Chris, thank you for the offer, may i take you up on it please as at the present time i have no pictures of Wheeler at all. If you are able to copy it please let me know and i'll drop you a PM with my address details etc. Many thanks again.
David.
Old 10th January 2009, 07:17

Further to my last posting and just for your information, Wheeler's participation in the Russian civil war would explain the Order of St, Stanislaus bestowed upon him.

Amrit, is there any mention of this in the LG?

All the best, David.
Old 10th January 2009, 09:50
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

I have it in my hands and can send you a scan if you give me your address