Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 11th December 2019, 22:44
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ju 88 endurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denniss View Post
The Jumo 211F/J had similar lower power states for maximum range, should be 2000 rpm and 1.0 ata for ~800PS (data varies by alt).
Basically the only difference between the F and J was the latter's intercooler.
Old 12th December 2019, 19:43
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road

Then why did it need an intercooler? Something must have driven such a significant engineering change, with its effect on the cooling system.
Old 12th December 2019, 20:05
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road

BABIN,

Would you have the crew names and werknummer / codes of the two Ju 88 D-1 from Wekusta 1 that undertook those long-range flights from France to Norway ? Were those, the longest Ju 88 flights ever recorded? And, is there any glimpse to why this kind of long range flights were discarded or never flown again?

A.
Old 12th December 2019, 20:06

ArtieBob will become famous soon enough

The intercooled 211J with the heat exchanger between the supercharger and engine had about 100 more HP at takeoff rating. Rather handy at Start time.
ArtieBob
Old 12th December 2019, 20:06
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough

These engineering questions should be answered next year. From a post on the Facebook page for the book, The Secret Horsepower Race by Calum Douglas. Dated 19 November.

"After a five year effort to research and write a definitive technical history of Fighter Aircraft piston aero engine development in the Second World War, by the western powers. Yesterday I submitted the final manuscript to my publisher, Dan Sharp at Mortons.

"The next five months until publication will result in a lot of editing and refinement, but the main task is now done!

"Nearly a quarter of a million words, and over 400 pages of A4, 100,000 archive document photographs taken, and research visits all over the world, from Cambridge, to California to Stuttgart.

"I hope people will enjoy reading the result in April, when its on sale. It is a chronological history, trying to explain what happened and why with engine development - not an academic textbook.

"I would like to thank Daimler-AG, Mahle Powertrain, and Rolls-Royce Plc, for granting me access to their corporate archives, and also the IMECHE, Kew National Archives and the Imperial War Museum, as well as the Bundesarchiv and the Smithsonian.

"I would also like to thank in particular Dr.-Ing Karl Kollmann in Germany for giving me his fathers unpublished wartime engine development papers (Prof. Dr-Ing Kollmann, chief designer of Daimler-Benz)."
Old 13th December 2019, 21:07

BABIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Baumgartner View Post
BABIN,

Would you have the crew names and werknummer / codes of the two Ju 88 D-1 from Wekusta 1 that undertook those long-range flights from France to Norway ? Were those, the longest Ju 88 flights ever recorded? And, is there any glimpse to why this kind of long range flights were discarded or never flown again?

A.

Hello Adriano Baumgartner,

Mission dated 10th of november 1942 :
Crew names : pilot Lt. H-J. Schulze, meteorologist Ass. Dr. Kniess, radio Ofw von Borstel, flight eng. Fw F. Heyer
Aircraft : Ju 88D-1 (D7+EK), WKNr 430 103

Mission dated 19th of november 1942 :
Crew names : pilot Lt Georg Obermeier, met. Wd.Insp W. Beimgraden, radio Fw M. Mrochen, flight eng. Fw F Heyer
Aircraft : Ju 88D-1 (D7+EK), same aircraft as the previous one

Both missions were tests. But in these 2 cases the aircraft had to do stops in Germany and Netherlands on the return trips because of mechanical problems. I think that was the reason why this kind of long range flights were discarded.

However, in the... 900 fliegermeldungen of the Wekusta 2 that I could read, I found an other (only one) long range mission with a Ju 88 : on 8th of June 1943 the Ju 88D-1 (D7+HK), WKNr 430 334, flew a mission far over the Atlantic Ocean. Duration : 8h21mn. Of course, the aircraft was equiped with an additional tank. Crew names : Lt. Obermeier, R.Rat W. Kuspert, radio Ofw. Mrochen, Flight Eng. Ofw Franzke.

Unfortunately, I don't know the reason of this long range mission.

Best regards

Pierre Babin