Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 22nd September 2008, 07:18

Kocab Zdenek is on a distinguished road
Arthur C. Fiedler, Jr.

What sort of awards has received Arthur C. Fiedler, Jr his service in USAAF and in USAF?What sort of awards has received Arthur C. Fiedler, Jr his service in USAAF and in USAF?
Old 22nd September 2008, 08:33
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about
Re: Arthur C. Fiedler, Jr.

When you asked a similar question, didn't he answer so why don't you ask him direct (again?)
Old 22nd September 2008, 10:21

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road

Well he originally posted in the previous thread where you asked him that question;

"I was commissioned as a 2nd Lt on 28 July 1943
I was promoted to 1st Lt. on 5 July 1944
I was promoted to Capt on 28 December 1944

I trust the above is the information you were seeking?

Cordially, Art Fiedler"

You never replied with "no that's not what I'm looking for!", so I guess the thread was finished?

Do you mean what medals did he recieve eg, Silver Star etc, etc?

Try and be a little more clear in what information you require and why, and I'm sure Art will be more than willing to help you out, he really is a top bloke!

Cheers, MP.
Old 23rd September 2008, 19:38

I meant some awards or medals like Air Medal, Silver Star, Distinguished Service Cross etc.
Old 24th September 2008, 02:26

mayfair35 is on a distinguished road

Mr. Zdenek:

I have no idea why you are requesting this information but to help you, here is a short biography of my service time.

Co/. Arthur Charles Fiedler
Colonel Arthur C. Fiedler Jr. who would become an eight-victory ace was born August 1, 1923 in Oak Park, Illinois. In April 1942, he enlisted in the United States Army Air Force as an Aviation Cadet and was awarded his commission and wings on July 28, 1943. He was assigned as a P-47 flight instructor at Dover, Delaware, but in May 1944, he was sent overseas and assigned to the 317th Fighter Squadron of the 325th Fighter Group. The 317th which was then flying P-51B Mustangs was based at Lesina, Italy. Although there were tens of thousands of aerial combat encounters during World War II, one of the most unusual was a dogfight that took place between Fiedler and an unidentified German Me-109 pilot on June 28, 1944. During a previous combat mission on June 24th, Fiedler claimed a probable. Four days later, Fiedler bounced two Me-109s west of Ploesti, Rumania. After 'flaming' the wingman, he took pictures of the wreckage to confirm his victory. As he began climbing to altitude, he was surprised by another Me-109 crossing directly in front of him. Fiedler immediately racked into a vertical bank, opened fire, and scored several hits before all his guns jammed from the heavy G forces. He now found himself sliding into formation with this second Me-109. Uncertain how he could break away without making himself a good target, Fiedler decided in desperation to fire his .45 automatic at the German who was no more than 40 - 45 feet away. He hoped the German would veer away and Fiedler would then break for home. As he drew his gun, the German suddenly jettisoned his canopy and bailed out. Fiedler was nicknamed "Svengali", but since he did not hypnotize any other pilots into bailing out, this was a short-lived thing. In January 1945, he was credited with his eighth and last aerial victory. Fiedler quit the Air Force to obtain a college education but was recalled involuntarily for the Korean conflict and then decided to remain in the Air Force. He attended the Army Command and General Staff College and served in several challenging assignments. One of his most interesting was with the Space Systems Division where he served as the Chief of Launch Vehicle Planning and Maneuverable Spacecraft Divisions. . Between 1966 and 1970, he flew over 1000 C-130 sorties in Viet Nam and retired in 1975 as a Colonel. Fiedler has been awarded the Silver Star, the Legion of Merit, the Distinguished Flying Cross with one oak leaf cluster, the Air Medal with 21 oak leaf clusters, the Air Force Commendation medal, the Presidential Unit Citation, a Partisan Star from Yugoslavia, plus numerous other decorations and awards. He and his family retired to Southern California where he enjoys his hobbies and the great weather.
Old 24th September 2008, 06:07

rpeck350 is on a distinguished road

I have another question for Mr. Fiedler on the P-51B.
When you flew the P-51B in Italy was it called a razorback P-51 or just a P-51B.?
I know it is an odd question but on another forum this is a big question.
Thank you for your time.
Rick Peck
Old 26th September 2008, 06:28

mayfair35 is on a distinguished road

Mr. Peck,

An interesting question. We flew the P-47 before the P-51 and all our 47's were the razorback variety. When the 47D-25 came out with the bubble canopy, was the first time I heard the term razorback used to describe our P-47s. The P-51B and C models of course could have had the term razorback applied to them also, but I do not ever recall hearing that term associated with the Mustang during my combat days. To the best of my memory, we always referred to a "B or C model" and knew what it pertained to. It was well after the war when mostly nonflying personnel were discussing differences between the B/C and D models that I heard the term used in conjunction with the Mustang. Perhaps others had different experiences but these are mine.

Cordially, Art Fiedler
Old 26th September 2008, 09:40

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough

Art, as an American who wasn't even born yet (1953), thank you for being there when we needed you.
Old 26th September 2008, 15:41

rpeck350 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your reply.
Interesting ,I'm sure you had other thoughts and concerns other than what the P-51B/C was called while you were in combat.
Thank's again.
Regards,Rick Peck
Old 28th September 2008, 18:38

Hi Mr. Fiedler,

I am interested in US Aces.

Unfortunatelly, i have not found any information about your activities after the 2nd World War in Air Force. Could you do me a favour and tell me which units you were in service (since - from) and also on which air-base you were? Also is it possible to tell me which planes you were flying?

You are the only one (from all contacted aces) who answered my questions about you service in Air Force.