Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 7th January 2019, 10:02
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Translation 'Leuchtmine'

Starshell is more reco than illumination, upon me, but only upon me

Rémi
Old 7th January 2019, 11:09
Alter Hase

Laurent Rizzotti is on a distinguished road

As the German reports specifies that they were fired to illuminate RAF bombers, it seems to me that star shells is a correct translation, as both the goal and the way of firing are the same.

3000 shells is still a high number and should have been noticed by RAF crews if it was an unusual (or new) tactic. I don't remember reading anything on it, just reports of the use of searchlights and of sky markers dropped by the Luftwaffe to mark the path of the bomber stream, but I have of course far less knowledge than you on the subject.
Old 7th January 2019, 21:56
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough

I cant find it in Geschossringbuch
Old 8th January 2019, 08:30

jschreiber is on a distinguished road

Hi

The more usual name for such shells is "Leuchtgranate", translated, according to the TM 30-506 dictionnary as "star shell". The Leuchtmine was, in WW I, a trench mortar shell with the same purpose. So the autor of the report could be a WW I veteran who used his known terminology...

A description of such shells can be found here : www.eeoda.de/2007/0706_FB1_8,8cmLGr_Zerl.pdf

I have not looked in the german ordnance manuals, but something can probably found on such shells inside.

Kind regards

J Schreiber
Old 8th January 2019, 10:02
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschreiber View Post
Hi

A description of such shells can be found here : www.eeoda.de/2007/0706_FB1_8,8cmLGr_Zerl.pdf

Kind regards
J Schreiber
Thanks

Mostly technical, but at least it is clear the shells were fired by the regular 88mm AA-guns.

It does not answer how it was done though. Were there dedicated cannons used only to fire these flares or did each gun crew fire let's say one flare, ten shells, one flare, 10 shells etc etc?

Cheers
Stig
Old 8th January 2019, 10:55

schwarze-man is on a distinguished road

Thanks JSchreiber,
Interesting comment on the "self destruct" charge, to avoid shell case falling on populated areas. Presumably, the destruction charge was sufficient to fragment the steel case and therefore, I can imagine that the case fragmentation was viewed as a contribution to the Flak barrage, as well as the illumination effect. Cheers

SM
Old 8th January 2019, 16:36
Alter Hase

Theo Boiten will become famous soon enoughTheo Boiten will become famous soon enough

Dear all -thanks for your additional comments & info, much appreciated. I've now gone through additional 1. Flak Division reports for early 1944 but found no other mentions of the use of Leuchtminen, nor on the technical side of its use. It appears that the vast use of Leuchtminen during the 24-25 March 1944 raid was a one-off.

Cheers, Theo