Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th June 2018, 12:30

Karl
Re: Heinz Marquardt and Kurt Tanzer

Hi Johannes
do you know further details about Ulrich Woehnert' s activities in April/May 1945? He finally flew the Me262 and had to make a forced landing (document shown in one of the Japo-publications not at my hands at the moment) .With II./JG7?
Regards, Karl
Old 2nd July 2018, 10:00
Alter Hase

knusel is on a distinguished road

Petr Kacha's website keeps silent about Wöhnert's April/May45 activities but mentions that some sources have credited him with at least 100 victories.
http://www.luftwaffe.cz/wohnert.html
Cheers,
Michael
Old 2nd July 2018, 11:42
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about

Hi Guys

Second edition is not on the cards, however a "Book 5" to the original series was planned at publication to cover corrections and additions. The corrections would be typo errors mainly, but also just plain mistakes, additions would be additional aces, but also additional information to those previously mentioned, this would be largely information gathered from flugbuchen covering the timeline outside the microfilm scope, and dates of Birth/death. However my co-author John Foreman has not been well for a few years. Whereas the concept of the book was my own, John is more literate, and would research the deaths of the pilots in combat, and often forward a name to the guy who nailed the ace. John is also much more informed about the Western front, and has published many books about this front, in fact he has little interest about the Eastern front, but has been to many Luftwaffe re-unions, and meet many Eastern-front aces, John still remains a great enthusiast.
As we say in the introduction in our "Book 1 A-E", our books only make sense if you ignore all that came before, basically John always said that anything published is regarded as "gospel", and is "cast in stone", i.e regarded as fact. The most accurate work I have encountered generally is Jochen Prien's later works, his earlier works had a lot of speculation i.e sometime times/dates were known, but not the claimant, Jochen did a good job of working-out who these claimants were, not is was not always accurate, however his later work does use the mikrofilms, however that for II./JG 2 in Africa is somehow corrupted(excel sort?), also Bernd Barbas's work on specifically JG 52 and Gerhard Barkhorn is almost faultless.
Basically we know more fact now than years ago.

I'll ask John if the "Book 5" is still on the cards.

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 2nd July 2018, 12:01

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
Hi Guys

Second edition is not on the cards, however a "Book 5" to the original series was planned at publication to cover corrections and additions. The corrections would be typo errors mainly, but also just plain mistakes, additions would be additional aces, but also additional information to those previously mentioned, this would be largely information gathered from flugbuchen covering the timeline outside the microfilm scope, and dates of Birth/death. However my co-author John Foreman has not been well for a few years. Whereas the concept of the book was my own, John is more literate, and would research the deaths of the pilots in combat, and often forward a name to the guy who nailed the ace. John is also much more informed about the Western front, and has published many books about this front, in fact he has little interest about the Eastern front, but has been to many Luftwaffe re-unions, and meet many Eastern-front aces, John still remains a great enthusiast.
As we say in the introduction in our "Book 1 A-E", our books only make sense if you ignore all that came before, basically John always said that anything published is regarded as "gospel", and is "cast in stone", i.e regarded as fact. The most accurate work I have encountered generally is Jochen Prien's later works, his earlier works had a lot of speculation i.e sometime times/dates were known, but not the claimant, Jochen did a good job of working-out who these claimants were, not is was not always accurate, however his later work does use the mikrofilms, however that for II./JG 2 in Africa is somehow corrupted(excel sort?), also Bernd Barbas's work on specifically JG 52 and Gerhard Barkhorn is almost faultless.
Basically we know more fact now than years ago.

I'll ask John if the "Book 5" is still on the cards.

Kind Regards

Johannes
Hi Johannes,
Sorry to hear about your co-author. This series of books has been of great use to me and I have only ever noticed one major error within them - the entry on Karl-Heinz Nebel needs a little work, along with a friend of mine, we interviewed him in about 2003/2004 and he told us about the wound he suffered and so on.

I would really welcome a 5th volume of corrections and updates and would buy it as a matter of priority.

A small (...hopefully not silly...) question if I may:
I could not find Hans-Werner Renzow listed in the series, would volume 5 correct that or is there a good reason for his omission?

Regards
Nick
Old 3rd July 2018, 15:36
Alter Hase

Good afternoon Johannes,

I wish your partner a good recovery and look to a possible vol5 of your monumental opus.

Kind regards,

Michael
Old 4th July 2018, 11:44
Alter Hase

Johannes has a spectacular aura aboutJohannes has a spectacular aura about

Hi Guys

Thanks for your comment, and good wishes for John, I will pass them on.

Wish regards to Wohnert I was not aware that he flew with JG 7, also the best information I have abou his death was that it was suicide. Loose track of him in Autumn 1944.

Regarding Renzow

I have his total at four plus:-

4th November 1942 P-40 40km South of El Derna u/c
15th November 1942 B-24 60km North of Bengasi 1530 hrs u/c
30th July 1943 P-40 into the sea, 50km ENE Lecce 0945 hrs 2500 metres Nr.1
5th April 1944 B-24 25km WSW of Targsonul-Nou 1425 hrs 6500 metres Nr.2
31st May 1944 P-38 30km SE Ploesti 1005 hrs 6000 metres Nr.3
31st May 1944 P-38 20km ENE Pipera 1012 hrs 5000 metres Nr.4

He may very well have made further claims over Russian aircraft during 1945. He was born on 1st June 1921, could still be alive.

With Nebel I would be grateful for any enlightenment. All I have is born 6th December 1920, could still be alive. Twelve confirmed Eastern claims between 3rd December 1942 and 20th October 1944, again very likely to have claimed further Russian aircraft in the last months of the war.

Regarding the fifth volume. I was speculating about publishing ALL those who claimed between one and four confirmed "victories", however was advised that it wouldn't sell. But I would like to have a "possible ace" chapter, and do biographies like Renzow who is likely an ace, also have a list of all claimers, some 7600 Luftwaffe pilots, this would give mention to the smaller people who often did as much suffering as the aces, and isn't somebody who claims three viermots more worthy of a mention than an Eastern ace in single figures?

Kind Regards

Johannes
Old 4th July 2018, 18:27

natttuppen is on a distinguished road

I also wish John a speedy recovery. In a possible book 5, I would appreciate a description of the process from the paper-work completed by the pilot (or clerk?), to the possible award of an abschuss to a pilot, and some comments upon the loss of the original documents in a bombing-raid, IIRC in 1943, and the work undertaken to recreate the lost material.

Last edited by natttuppen; 5th July 2018 at 17:50.
Old 5th July 2018, 10:18
Alter Hase

Quote:
...Regarding the fifth volume. I was speculating about publishing ALL those who claimed between one and four confirmed "victories", however was advised that it wouldn't sell. But I would like to have a "possible ace" chapter, and do biographies like Renzow who is likely an ace, also have a list of all claimers, some 7600 Luftwaffe pilots, this would give mention to the smaller people who often did as much suffering as the aces, and isn't somebody who claims three viermots more worthy of a mention than an Eastern ace in single figures?

Kind Regards

Johannes
Good morning Johannes,

Christopher Shores published a similar project for the RAF pilots with 2-4 kills.
https://www.amazon.de/Those-Other-Ea...ose+other+aces
Was it a flop ?

All the best to you,

Michael
Old 5th July 2018, 11:09

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Hi Guys

Thanks for your comment, and good wishes for John, I will pass them on.

Wish regards to Wohnert I was not aware that he flew with JG 7, also the best information I have abou his death was that it was suicide. Loose track of him in Autumn 1944.

Regarding Renzow

I have his total at four plus:-

4th November 1942 P-40 40km South of El Derna u/c
15th November 1942 B-24 60km North of Bengasi 1530 hrs u/c
30th July 1943 P-40 into the sea, 50km ENE Lecce 0945 hrs 2500 metres Nr.1
5th April 1944 B-24 25km WSW of Targsonul-Nou 1425 hrs 6500 metres Nr.2
31st May 1944 P-38 30km SE Ploesti 1005 hrs 6000 metres Nr.3
31st May 1944 P-38 20km ENE Pipera 1012 hrs 5000 metres Nr.4

He may very well have made further claims over Russian aircraft during 1945. He was born on 1st June 1921, could still be alive.

With Nebel I would be grateful for any enlightenment. All I have is born 6th December 1920, could still be alive. Twelve confirmed Eastern claims between 3rd December 1942 and 20th October 1944, again very likely to have claimed further Russian aircraft in the last months of the war.

Regarding the fifth volume. I was speculating about publishing ALL those who claimed between one and four confirmed "victories", however was advised that it wouldn't sell. But I would like to have a "possible ace" chapter, and do biographies like Renzow who is likely an ace, also have a list of all claimers, some 7600 Luftwaffe pilots, this would give mention to the smaller people who often did as much suffering as the aces, and isn't somebody who claims three viermots more worthy of a mention than an Eastern ace in single figures?

Kind Regards

Johannes
Hi Johannes,
Regarding Karl-Heinz Nebel:
Wounded in the thigh by Flak in October 1944, for which he blamed Brendel. He said Brendel ordered them to cross the front lines at an in-advisably low altitude that left them vulnerable. Was recovering in Koethen (his home town) when the war ended, so your comment of him having possibly more victories is (respectfully) incorrect as is the notation that he is possibly still alive. He passed away in 2008.

Hope that helps somewhat and thanks very much for the advice on Renzow.

As for being told that a book of "less-than-aces" would not sell, I strongly beg to differ. I would be genuinely happy to buy it and glad to own it...

Nick
Old 5th July 2018, 15:55

Karl

Dear Michael and Johannes,
thank you for your answers relating to Lt Ulrich Woehnert.
In the Podzun-Pallas book "Die Grünherzjäger. Bildchronik des Jagdgeschwaders 54" I found a picture of Lt Woehnert captioned as Staffelkapitän 5./JG54, together with other officers around Hauptmann Findeisen, new Kommandeur of II./JG54 since February 1945.
I think that - similar to Lt Norbert Hannig (still with 6./JG54 in Kurland in March 1945 and then Staffelkapitän of 6./JG7) - Lt Woehnert was trained on the Me262 at the beginning of April 45.

Fact is that Woehnert bailed out from a Me262 on 18.04.1945 near Prague.

According to the Luftwaffe Officer Career Summaries of deZeng/Stankey Wöhnert died on 14. August 1947 of pneumonia in Wittenberg.

KR Karl