Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 21st May 2015, 19:32

klemchen is on a distinguished road
A Me 109 K question

Hi everybody,

on the starboard underside of fuselage segment 2 (i.e. the first "ring" behind the cockpit part) of the earlier versions there was a large hatch, which was rectangular with small rounded corners on the E (and probably the preceding series) and trapezoidal with large rounded corners on the F and G and which provided access to some control mechanism. On the K that hatch was replaced by a smaller circular one. Does anyone have photos or reliable drawings or precise geometric data of the K fuselage underside, which show the exact position and size of that circular hatch? I know one photo showing the lid of the hatch hanging down, but its precise position remains unclear.

Regards,
klemchen
Old 22nd May 2015, 02:42
Alter Hase

harrison987 is on a distinguished road
Re: A Me 109 K question

That would be the Mutterkompass and MW50 access hatch.

on ALL models from F-K, it was under the belly, and was a bit of a trapezoid.

In addition to that hatch, there it had a ROUND hatch on the left side.

On the K, they omitted both and used ONLY a round hatch on the bottom (instead of trapezoid) when it was equipped with MW50.

If no Mw-50 was installed at factory, it got the standard two-hatch set-up.

I do not have drawings, but I suspect it was dead centre of where the trapezoid was located...and the same size as the round hatch on left.

Mike
Old 24th May 2015, 20:27

klemchen is on a distinguished road
Re: A Me 109 K question

Hello Mike,

thank you for your answer. I did not know there were any K-4s without MW50, although I have seen photos of unfinished K-4 fuselages with the round hatch on the port side of fuselage segment 2. Were these K-4s intended for training units? (Just like there were G-14s for training without MW50, in spite of the designation G-6/MW50 having been considered, but finally rejected, for the G-14.)
I still believe that the bottom hatch on fuselage segment 2 was to provide access to the control mechanism for the elevators, since inside on starboard of that segment there were two levers and a counterweight of that control. And on the K-4s with MW50 the mother compass had been moved rearward to segment 6, so there was no need of providing any access to the compass on segment 2.

Regards,
klemchen