Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th May 2014, 21:31
Alter Hase

Melvin Brownless is on a distinguished road
Uffz. Wilhelm Schicke - I./SKG10 - Fw190A-4 - WNr.45838 - 16-17 May 1943 - Higham, Gravesend, Kent

Hi Guys,

Another unit that I have researched at different times is SKG 10. From my friend Clint Mitchell came the following report regarding the recovery of a Fw 190 of Uffz. Wilhelm Schicke at Higham, Kent.

Back in 1978 human remains were found by the EOD, were these remains re-interred? If anyone has further information or any photos of any wreckage found I would be really interested to hear from you.
As follows:

"About 1978 590 EOD Sqn RE recovered an Fw190 from a pit at Higham. The aircraft was flown from a Belgian base, part of the pilot including his wallet with Belgian francs were still on board. Based on the fact the gun barrels were still bright and uncorroded it was thought that this a/c had been brought down before it had fired any ammunition. One of the barrels was mounted and on the OC s desk as st Margarets St Drill Hall. I don't know the outcome but the ICRC were trying to trace the pilots relatives as the wallet had photos & a letter in."
"It was being dug or rather pumped out by 590 EOD from Fort Clarence, I transferred in just as they were finishing it so about 1977-8. It was an Fw190, from a Belgian airfield. The Pilot was supposedly recovered at the time and buried locally but waist down he was still there including his wallet with photos and Belgian francs which was in the COs safe at 590 whilst the Red Cross were trying to trace his family (don't think they did and no idea what happened to it). One of the MGs from the a/c was mounted on the COs desk- immaculate condition and still grease in the barrel so not been fired. The aircraft was in the water and a coffer dam built around it which needed constant pumping to drain out. 49 at Lodge Hill supplied us pumps and a guy to go up on each friday to start draining out so we could get a clear run on the weekend. The issue pumps were c+*p but 49 had a couple of old AFS Dennis(?) trailer pumps that had been "found" and they worked a treat."

Does anyone know more please?

Regards,

Melvin

www.aircrewremembrancesociety.co.uk