Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 19th April 2014, 06:25
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Seeking scoreboard for a/c of Maj. Wolfgang Schellmann Gr Kdr II./JG2 and Gesch Kde of JG2 summer 1940

Hello,

This photo shows the a/c of RKT Maj. Wolfgang Schellmann, Gesch Kde of JG2 at the beginning of Sept., 1940. For the EoE Project, we're working on a profile series for Schellmann's a/c. Good photos exist of his a/c both while with Stab II./JG2 during the WC/FC and later as JG2 Gesch Kde during the BoB. However, I've never seen a photo of his scoreboard for any of his a/c during 1940. He scored his first seven victories during the WC/FC, and had a total of 11 when he was awarded the Knight's Cross on 18.09.40.

Has anyone ever seen photos of his scoreboard showing his victory tabs at any time during 1940?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/111327047693?...693%26_rdc%3D1

This same photo can be found in Dr. Prien's JFV 4/I.
Old 19th April 2014, 11:57

sidney is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking scoreboard for a/c of Maj. Wolfgang Schellmann Gr Kdr II./JG2 and Gesch Kde of JG2 summer 1940

Larry, I always thought that this photo showed Maj. Schellmann's predecessor, Obstlt. Harry von Bülow-Bothkamp. This photo I believe was also published in Prien, Stemmer and others JFV part 4/I, so it is easy to check.
Old 19th April 2014, 12:49

sidney is on a distinguished road
Re: Seeking scoreboard for a/c of Maj. Wolfgang Schellmann Gr Kdr II./JG2 and Gesch Kde of JG2 summer 1940

Source: Eric Mombeek, Jagdwaffe series of books, Volume Two, Section One, Page 38.

Last edited by sidney; 16th October 2015 at 11:07.
Old 19th April 2014, 19:22
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Sinisa,

Both of us a are right about this one. The posted photo on eBay, and the "Jagdwaffe" color profile do show the a/c of Obstlt. Harry von Bülow-Bothkamp. I should have noted that. However, this a/c was photographed with yellow tactical markings on the nose and tail in the background of photos of Helmut Wick, with his victory scoreboard showing 24 Victories (06.09.40), and again with 31 Victories (27.09.40). I believe Schellmann took over as Gesch Kde of JG2 on 03.09.40, so both of these are dated after that event, and indicate that Schellmann took over and continued to fly von Bülow-Bothkamp's previous a/c. The photo depicting 31 victory tabs on Wick's a/c shows the starboard rudder of this a/c, but it does not appear to carry any victory tabs, at least on that side.

This doesn't mean that Schellmann didn't also have a second a/c that he used as a spare or back up (or this one functioned in that capacity), but the photo posted above clearly was used by both Gesch Kde's, von Bülow-Bothkamp initially and later by Schellmann.

My quest is still to find either photos of the rudder (port side only?) of this a/c depicting Schellmann's scoreboard, or a second a/c flown during the late summer and fall of 1940 that carried this. It is also always possible that his a/c never carried a scoreboard. I'm also seeking photos of the tail scoreboard of Schellmann's II./JG2 Gr Kdr a/c during the WC/FC, that would have a carried as many as seven victory tabs.